Unstable LAI with dynamic vegetation in NoahMP

tpartrid

Hi all,

I'm finding that LAI is unstable and eventually goes to zero over a multi-year simulation when I turn on dynamic vegetation in Noah-MP. The attached image shows 5 years of LAI over a grid cell defined as an Evergreen Needleleaf Forest and another as Savannah. I've run with dynamic vegetation in the past, but never for a multi-year simulation, has anyone else experienced this behavior? Any ideas for troubleshooting?

Thank you for the help!
-Trevor

Screenshot 2022-05-24 093649.png

Ming Chen

Staff member
Trevor,
I am sorry to tell that the dynamic option in noahMP doesn't work as expected. We have to suggest that users avoid using this option. The developers haven't made any progress/improvement regarding issue at present.

tpartrid

Hi Ming,

Thank you for the response. I'll definitely be keeping me eyes open for progress on the dynamic veg. module.

yangliu_WRF

Trevor,
I am sorry to tell that the dynamic option in noahMP doesn't work as expected. We have to suggest that users avoid using this option. The developers haven't made any progress/improvement regarding issue at present.
Hi Ming,
I would like to ask, is it possible to obtain the LAI and FVEG information of a certain area in China in the 1930s/1950s by coupling the dynamic veg. module with WRF?

Ming Chen

Staff member
I don't think so. This is because the dynamic vegetation option in WRF doesn't work well and we have no verification to confirm it can yield reasonable results.