Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

MPAS-A compilation errors, mpich / openmpi

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

henrys

I'm running into some errors compiling MPAS-A:

> make gfortran CORE=init_atmosphere USE_PIO2=true OPENMP=false

. . .
/usr/lib/openmpi/lib/libmpi_mpifh.so: undefined reference to `mpi_fortran_in_place__'
/usr/lib/openmpi/lib/libmpi_mpifh.so: undefined reference to `MPI_Win_f2c'
/usr/lib/openmpi/lib/libmpi_mpifh.so: undefined reference to `mpi_fortran_unweighted'
. . .

Anyone come across this or have suggestions about fixing it?

The openmpi library throwing this error was preinstalled on my system (an Azure Data Science VM running Ubuntu). Should it even be going here since it was compiled with 'OPENMP=false' and I installed mpich? I installed mpich and other required libraries using https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/people/duda/files/mpas/sources/iolib_installation.sh. Also, I placed the iolib libraries, including mpich, first in all the path env variables (PATH, LIBRARY_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH) which probably isn't necessary but I was running out of ideas.

Problem solved: my env PATHs were incorrect. The compiler was finding other pre-installed but incompatible versions of these libraries (e.g., openmpi instead of mpich).

Sorry about the lack of response to your question. But I'm glad you were able to determine and fix the issue!