Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

real.exe invalid parent id for domain 2

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

pgoddard

Hi, (reposting from Board index/WRF Support/WRF Model Running/WRF/real.exe -- https://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=9452)

I am still running into issues regarding "invalid parent id" with real.exe. I have used namelist examples (I am trying to run with Dust using the WRF-Chem tutorial Exercise 1 example) and edited them such that I do not believe there are any hidden characters. Furthermore, I ran real.exe using just the coarse domain, and had no issues. But when I modify that namelist for nesting with d1 and d2, I get the above error. I am attaching my namelist.input that is for a nested domain (2 total domains), the error output, and the namelist.wps (this has 3 domains, for I eventually want to have 2 nests + the coarse domain).
Any addition thoughts for how to troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated.
Best,
Paul

Attachments

• namelist_input.txt
    8.2 KB · Views: 84
  • namelist_wps.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 83
  • rsl.error.0000.txt
    892 bytes · Views: 71
Hi,

One thing I notice is that the namelist option: sfcp_to_sfcp is not held within the &domains. Another thing to try is to set parent_id = 1, 1.

Jordan

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try both, but still get the invalid parent id for domain 2 error.

I appreciate the help,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Ok - does running real produce a namelist.output? If so, can you attach it?

Also for the namelist options with d<domain>, you only need one value, as <domain> takes care of it.

these nml options are also not within a block:
auxinput13_inname = 'wrfchemv_d<domain>', 'wrfchemv_d<domain>',
auxinput13_interval_m = 86400, 86400,
io_form_auxinput13 = 0, 0,

Jordan

Hi Jordan,

I attached my namelist.input (with the few changes you suggested --- let me know though if there are more namelist options that should only have one column (ie, not need to specify another column for nested domains), I think I went through the Registry and caught all instances that require "MAX_DOMAINS", but I may not have caught the mistakes if an extra column was unneccessary). I also attached the namelist.output.

Thanks again,
Paul

Attachments

• namelist-output.txt
    90.9 KB · Views: 64
  • namelist-input.txt
    8 KB · Views: 68
Hi Paul,

It's looks to be a problem with your reading your namelist. In namelist.output, it has MAX_DOM = 1.  I've just relooked at your namelist.wps, and its possible you need to change parent_id = 1, 1, 2.

If you run metgrid with a namelist.wps max_dom = 2 instead of 3, does that change anything?

Everything below "p_top_requested" in &domains only needs one value.

Jordan

Hi Jordan,

I tried several things today, but with no luck. Though, the namelist.output that I sent you previously was leftover from a run I conducted with only one domain (hence the MAX_DOM=1). My current attempts to run real does not result in an namelist.output.

Just to make sure I start with a clean directory; I compiled WRF Chem in a new directory. Then I used namelist.wps and namelist.input modeled after the suggestions you made; but I still get the invalid parent id for domain 2 error.

Here are the most recent versions of the namelists and the error message. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. I really appreciate the help.

Best,
Paul

Attachments

• namelist-wps.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 61
  • namelist-input.txt
    8 KB · Views: 60
  • rsl-error0000.txt
    808 bytes · Views: 60
Hi Paul,

That is unfortunate - I don't think this is the issue, but you still have several places that need changed:

Change this:
auxinput6_inname = 'wrfbiochemi_d01','wrfbiochemi_d01',
auxinput7_inname = 'wrffirechemi_d<domain>','wrffirechemi_d<domain>',
auxinput8_inname = 'wrfchemi_gocart_bg_d<domain>','wrfchemi_gocart_bg_d<domain>',
auxinput12_inname = 'wrf_chem_input','wrf_chem_input',
auxinput1_inname = "met_em.d<domain>.<date>", "met_em.d<domain>.<date>",
auxinput13_inname = 'wrfchemv_d<domain>', 'wrfchemv_d<domain>',

To this:
auxinput6_inname = 'wrfbiochemi_d<domain>',
auxinput7_inname = 'wrffirechemi_d<domain>',
auxinput8_inname = 'wrfchemi_gocart_bg_d<domain>',
auxinput1_inname = "met_em.d<domain>.<date>",
auxinput13_inname = 'wrfchemv_d<domain>',

You can delete this since you aren't inputing chem data
auxinput12_inname = 'wrf_chem_input','wrf_chem_input',

Are you using volcanic emissions? delete auxinput13* if not.

Do you have all of the other files for each domain?

Jordan

Hi Jordan,

I had success with running with domains; thank you for your help. I removed the auxinput-type namelist options that I was not using and I went back through the Registry to make sure I obeyed the MAX_DOMAINS rules. I am attaching my namelist.wps and namelist.input that works for running WRF-chem with Dust via the Tutorial Exercise 1.

Thanks again,
Paul

Attachments

• namelist-input-success.txt
    6.9 KB · Views: 114
  • namelist-wps-success.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 100