Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Questions about aborted calculations resulting from WRFDA's 4DVAR calculations

stakahashi

Hello to all WRF users!

I would like to build an environment that can calculate 4DVAR for WRFDA, but I am having trouble with errors.

After building v4.4 WRF and WRFDA cloned from github, I have confirmed up to the following 4DVAR tutorial works.
(WRFDA Practice)

In the tutorial, the generated wrfinput_d01 was distributed as a dataset, so I generated a new wrfinput_d01 using WRF ARW's real.exe and used it in 4DVAR, but the calculation was terminated by SIGABRT.

I would like to hear from those who have already built an environment that can calculate WRFDA.

Thank you in advance.

You can see that many people in the forum are troubled by the use of 4DVAR. Unfortunately, I tell you that this problem of yours is very easy to appear in the 4DVAR of WRFDA. Through my many experiments, I found that if the physical suite is simple, it will have a higher probability of successful operation, and it is only for routine observation. Once the assimilation of radiation data is added, it will be very difficult. I asked for help many times in the forum, but I didn't get any help. Finally, I gave up the use of 4DAVR.

You can see that many people in the forum are troubled by the use of 4DVAR. Unfortunately, I tell you that this problem of yours is very easy to appear in the 4DVAR of WRFDA. Through my many experiments, I found that if the physical suite is simple, it will have a higher probability of successful operation, and it is only for routine observation. Once the assimilation of radiation data is added, it will be very difficult. I asked for help many times in the forum, but I didn't get any help. Finally, I gave up the use of 4DAVR.
Thanks for your response! I have been looking at the Forum, and I see that this is still a common and unsuccessful case.... I wonder about the future of WRF development as well.... I hope you will let me know if you find out anything else! I'll make a little more of an effort!

I can tell you that if I want to run 4DVAR successfully, I need to make physics setting very very simple. For example, mp_physics=3,cu_physics=0. Even if 4dvar is successfully run, the experiment is meaningless to me becausethe simple physics settings are very poor for my case. There are other limitations, like hybrid_opt must be 0,use_theta_m must be 0 . Too many limitations make the use of 4DVAR very inconvenient, ineffective and not very meaningful.

I can tell you that if I want to run 4DVAR successfully, I need to make physics setting very very simple. For example, mp_physics=3,cu_physics=0. Even if 4dvar is successfully run, the experiment is meaningless to me becausethe simple physics settings are very poor for my case. There are other limitations, like hybrid_opt must be 0,use_theta_m must be 0 . Too many limitations make the use of 4DVAR very inconvenient, ineffective and not very meaningful.
I mean the 4DVAR in WRFDA。

I mean the 4DVAR in WRFDA。
I appreciate your valuable comments. I understood that the model needs to be simplified, and that's what you meant by the settings. I will check in our configuration file and try to implement it. It is true that oversimplifying the model makes no sense from the standpoint of feasibility, which is a problem. It would only make sense to try out a sensitivity study for the time being.... If you notice anything else, I would be glad to hear from you!