Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Assimilated wind not updated in the Analysis

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

aFalcione

Hi all,

I am assimilating wind speed and wind direction observations via FM-281 QSCAT instrument code (my observations come from ASCAT).
I think that the observations have been correctly assimilated because in rsl.out I read:

" Diagnostics

Total number of obs. = 628

*** WRF-Var completed successfully *** "

However, when I compute the difference of the wind field between the analysis with assimilated observations and the original one, I do not see difference in the wind field. I do see difference in other fields, like t2m and slp, but the wind field appears to be exactly the same.
How can that be considering that I am assimilating wind observations?

I computed the difference using Python via the wrf-python package. I am diagnosing the wind field using the g_uvmet.get_uvmet10_wspd_wdir routine, and the file I think contains the analysis is the first wrfout_d01_YEAR-MM-DD_hh:mm:ss output file.