Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Difference between GEOGRID.TBL.ARW and GEOGRID.TBL.noahmp

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

cjones

hello,

I am using the NOAH MP scheme with all default options. I noticed that in the WPS/geogrid directory there is also a GEOGRID.TBL.ARW.noahmp that is different than the GEOGRID.TBL.ARW
GEOGRID.TBL.ARW.noahmp has slightly different settings for the same variables available in both tables, but GEOGRID.TBL.ARW.noahmp has other variables that are not in GEOGRID.TBL.ARW

I was not able to find any information if i need to run geogrid with GEOGRID.TBL.ARW.noahmp or not. Does anyone have any information which table one needs to use?

thank you very much

Charles.

The major differences between the two TBL files are that:
(1) GEOGRID.TBL.ARW.noahmp includes options for a new soil composition option and static fields required for crop module
(2) GEOGRID.TBL.ARW includes options for a low-resolution static dataset, which is mainly used for the purpose of testing
If you don't intend to run noahMP with the crop module and don't want to use the new soil composition option, then you can run WPS with the GEOGRID.TBL.ARW. Otherwise, please run with GEOGRID.TBL.ARW.noahMP

Ming Chen

Hi,

Originally I was planning to use Noah-MP as my LSM for a multi-year simulation. Before I ran geogrid and metgrid for Year 1, I soft linked to the GEOGRID.TBL.ARW.noahmp table. I then ran geogrid, and then metgrid without any issues. I then ran real and I was running wrf for a while. But then I decided to just use the original Noah as my LSM and restart the simulation (wrf.exe) from the beginning of Year 1. My question is...If I chose to run WRF with the Noah LSM, after I already soft linked to the GEOGRID.TBL.ARW.noahmp table and after I already created my met_em files, would this cause any conflict or issue with my WRF output? Would I need to reset the soft link to the default GEOGRID.TBL.ARW table, and then re-run geogrid and metgrid, before I attempt to run WRF with the regular Noah LSM for Year 1? Thanks!

~Ali