Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

how to generate 18,19,20 and 21 categories for Modified IGBP MODIS Classification

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

lslrsgis

Dear WRF community,

Is there any reference for Modified IGBP MODIS Classification? I am wondering how to generate categories 18,19,20 (Wooded/Mixed/Barrened Tundra) from MODIS IGBP classification (with 17 types), and separate category 21 (lake) from 17 (sea/ocean)?

LSL

The data in the 'modis_landuse_20class_15s' directory is based on

Broxton, P. D., Zeng, X., Sulla-Menashe, D., & Troch, P. A. (2014). A global land cover climatology using MODIS data. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 53(6), 1593-1605. DOI: 10.1175/JAMC-D-13-0270.1

Please take a look and see whether you can find helpful information.

Thanks very much for the reply. The attached paper is helpful for understanding how to generate MODIS LC climatology. However, there is only 17 IGBP categories, without explaination for modified types as 18-21.

LSL

LSL,
I am sorry that I also cannot find the information related to types 18-21. We use these dataset as is, --- the person who provides us this dataset has left and we cannot reach him anymore.
Please keep me updated if you find something .....
Thanks in advance.