Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) Segmentation fault (signal 11) error

• Thread starter Deleted member 3607
  • Start date

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

D

Deleted member 3607

/WRF/WRF-4.2.2/run$ mpirun -n 14 ./wrf.exe
starting wrf task 1 of 14
starting wrf task 5 of 14
starting wrf task 2 of 14
starting wrf task 9 of 14
starting wrf task 12 of 14
starting wrf task 13 of 14
starting wrf task 0 of 14
starting wrf task 4 of 14
starting wrf task 6 of 14
starting wrf task 7 of 14
starting wrf task 8 of 14
starting wrf task 10 of 14
starting wrf task 3 of 14
starting wrf task 11 of 14

===================================================================================
= BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES
= PID 20936 RUNNING AT will-XPS-8940
= EXIT CODE: 139
= CLEANING UP REMAINING PROCESSES
= YOU CAN IGNORE THE BELOW CLEANUP MESSAGES
===================================================================================
YOUR APPLICATION TERMINATED WITH THE EXIT STRING: Segmentation fault (signal 11)
This typically refers to a problem with your application.
Please see the FAQ page for debugging suggestions

I did download all the optional static files for WPS because I wasn't sure exactly what I may need in the future. Is this the problem?

Attachments

• namelist.input
    3.9 KB · Views: 66
  • namelist.wps
    1.4 KB · Views: 44
exit(139): It indicates Segmentation Fault which means that the program was trying to access a memory location not allocated to it. This mostly occurs while using pointers or trying to access an out-of-bounds array index.

Tried making a much smaller domain at 10km res instead of 30km res and it works fine. So i'm completely loss.

Hi,
Segmentation faults can happen for many different reasons. This may be the result of the number of processors you're using, or the decomposition of it. 14 is a weird number because it will then decompose the domain into a 2x7 grid, which isn't very uniform. However, the fact that it runs when the domain is smaller seems to indicate that you may need more processors for the larger domain. Take a look at this FAQ, which discusses some of these options.

If you are still experiencing problems, please send the namelist.input file you used for the run in question, along with all the rsl files packaged as a *.TAR file (please don't package as a .rar file - we are unable to open those files).

kwerner said:
Hi,
Segmentation faults can happen for many different reasons. This may be the result of the number of processors you're using, or the decomposition of it. 14 is a weird number because it will then decompose the domain into a 2x7 grid, which isn't very uniform. However, the fact that it runs when the domain is smaller seems to indicate that you may need more processors for the larger domain. Take a look at this FAQ, which discusses some of these options.

If you are still experiencing problems, please send the namelist.input file you used for the run in question, along with all the rsl files packaged as a *.TAR file (please don't package as a .rar file - we are unable to open those files).

Good evening,

I think I was able to get it to work by playing around with the domain size. Not exactly sure what I did but it seems to work at this time.

Well, whatever the reason, I'm glad you were able to get past the problem. Thank you for updating the post!