Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Running WRF with mcd12q1 land cover

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

neel14

I am trying to run the model with the mcd12q1 data. Model runs for the parent domain but crashes immediately with the start of the second domain with the error Warning: too many input landuse types
Since mcd12q1 is 17 category, I have tried running by modifying the VEGPARM.TBL, LANDUSE.TBL and SOILPARM.TBL without success. Please guide me if someone have successfully implemented it.

Thanks and regards
Neeldip

This error message is yielded once the VEGTYP is lager than LUCAT. Please check your wrfinput file to look at values of VEGTYP, which should be within the range of 1-17 based on your description. And print the value of LUCAT, which should be given in VEGPARM.TBL

Ming Chen said:
This error message is yielded once the VEGTYP is lager than LUCAT. Please check your wrfinput file to look at values of VEGTYP, which should be within the range of 1-17 based on your description. And print the value of LUCAT, which should be given in VEGPARM.TBL

I have checked the wrfinput for d02 and it indeed contains categories between 1-17. I am confused why the model runs for domain 1 and fails for domain 2.

As a precautionary measure I removed the categories greater than 17 in VEGPARM.TBL, LANDUSE.TBL under Igps noah before running geogrid and did the whole process again. The max category in the index file for the mcd12q1 has been mentioned as 17.

Will it be a technical issue if the remove the non vegetation categories such built up area,water from the VEGPARM.TBL?

Update:
Had to reinstall WRF. Its working now.

Another question. I was trying to use the OISST data which 0.25 degree data. I am using 1 degree FNL data. d02 size is 9 km. I had to add the interpolation in the METGRID.TBL.
========================================
name=SST
interp_option=sixteen_pt+four_pt
fill_missing=0.
interp_mask=LANDSEA(1)
missing_value=-1.E30
flag_in_output=FLAG_SST
========================================
But my interpolation looks very coarse for a 9km.
rvrOxJy.png
Please suggest corrections to the interpolation as I dont have much idea about it.

The lands mask field is named LANDSEA,which is from the FNL data that has coarse resolution. metered will use this FNL landmark when interpolating SST data from OISST. You need to rename LANDSEA to SST_LAND in your Vtable to ungrib OIST data, then create separate entries in METGRID.TBL for OISST. For example:
name=SST
interp_option=sixteen_pt+four_pt
interp_mask=SST_LAND(-1.E30)
fill_misisng=0

Please try and let me know whether this works for you. More information can be found here:
https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/tutorial/201907/duda_wps_advanced.pdf