Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

sf_layer and sea spray formulation for TC

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

jivica

Dear community,

before reinventing the wheel, I am wondering if someone know or have phys/*_sf_* that is having ocean-atmo improved interface interaction by including sea-spray momentum/enthalpy dynamics usually occurring in severe tropical cyclones?

I am looking into WRF-ARW and will couple with ocean model (ROMS and WW3) via MCT and COAWST framework.
Thinking to go along with existing sf_mynn or sf_myjsfc and their modifications to include Adnreas et al. sea-spray dynamics.

All comments, ideas are more than welcome!

Cheers
Ivica

Ivica,

WRF has been coupled with the 3D PWP ocean model. However, I don't think it considers sea-spay momentum/enthalpy dynamics. I am not sure whether the COAWST modeling system includes this part.

Ming Chen

Dear Ming,

thanks for swift reply.
Regarding the sea spray (or some advanced ocean-atmo surface boundary layer physics, I was hoping from HWRF branch there is something similar.
Sea-spray physics can be computed anywhere (in WRF/ROMS/WW3) as all 3 models see each other, but is it crucial to have corrected fluxes back in WRF to compute U10/V10 (and wind stress) as well heat/fresh water fluxes for ocean models.
I am not too worried about COAWST, it is under control, I can easily add whatever is needed from/to ocean/waves. It is efficiently tight with MCT coupling, so I can have variables like ocean SST, Salt (from ROMS ocean model) and modified Charnock/Hs/Per/Wlen (from WW3 wave model) fed back to WRF (it is already done in a similar fashion via current COAWST setup).
The missing puzzle is WRF surf subroutine that can accommodate those variables and use them to fix atmo boundary layer.

Cheers,
Ivica

Ivaca,

Please let us know if you have any questions during the process. Honestly we don't have many experiences in ocean-related issues. We do want to work with scientists in the community to improve the model capability.

Ming Chen