Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Improve simulations meso-low and meso-high

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

L Alvarez

Hello there,

I am working on a simulation of a multicellular storm on volcanic terrain.
The response of the land to warm you is poor (It is a volcanic area and has an important thermal inertia to warm up, in theory).

In other simulations I have done, I have managed to paint meso-low and meso-high (small areas of low pressure (hPa) appear), according to the warming of the terrain, convergences, etc and above all modify the surrounding wind or in response to these pressure structures. Can improve this part with some specific physics?..

WRF model 4.1; input data NNRP DS90.0 NCAR; simulation length 24 hours; 4 nested domains; vertical levels 35; maximum grid resolution 200 meters (not topographic); temporary resolution domain 4 of 5 minutes; physics_suite = 'CONUS';

Best regards,

L Alvarez

PD: I have attached an example of another event, where I did see small-scale structures

Attachments

• PHOTO-2019-08-12-10-00-49.jpg
    PHOTO-2019-08-12-10-00-49.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 682
Hi Alvarez,
Based on my understanding of your case, I suppose you run WRF with "CONUS" physics suite.
In this case, the land physics will evolve and it doesn't really describe the volcano impacts. As a result, there is no atmospheric response to volcano effects.
Please clarify your second question regarding the meso-high and peso-low.

Hi Chen,

It is correct, I am using the CONUS physics suite with 45 level now.
I am not getting good results regarding the best volcano-surface heating model.

I need to improve the above, to generate the "temperature and pressure anomalies in surface" (meso-low and meso-hight), which can be caused by this fact. I understand that physics must be modified. What do you recomend?..

L Alvarez

L Alvarez,

I think you need to add new features to describe the volcano impact. The current WRF system doesn't have this capability. Simply modifying the already-existing physics modules cannot work for your case.