Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to ouput vertical radiative heating profiles from WRF?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Jacky Wei

Recently, I tried to run the WRF ARW version 3.9. I got hourly outputs from my real-case run. I have decided to diagnose the radiation budget, in which the vertical distribution profiles of longwave and shortwave radiation is desired. I checked the output variables and only found radiation at the surface and top of the atmosphere. So, how can I set up the model to get the pressure level output of radiation?

Jacky,
There are a few variables in Registry:
state real RTHRATEN ikj misc 1 - rd "RTHRATEN"
state real RTHRATENLW ikj misc 1 - r "RTHRATLW"
state real RTHRATENSW ikj misc 1 - r "RTHRATSW"
These are theta tendency caused by radiation. Probably you can look at these variables and derive the variables you need.

Hi, Ming:
Thank you for your answer. Yes, I have set up the Registry script to ouput these tendencies. My issues have been addressed finally.
Best,
Jacky