Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Comparison of WRF output and MODIS data

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

todor_Gai

Hi,

I am trying to verify my results from WRF using data from MODIS (particularly cloud optical thickness).
MODIS gives data for the whole day but the data from WRF is hourly and I am not sure how to compare
the data properly.
Can somebody help with that problem and maybe suggest a way of verifying the output data from WRF.

Thank you

You may average WRF hourly data to obtain daily mean value, seen compare with MODIS. Note that this is only a rough comparison and cannot yield accurate results.

Ming Chen said:
You may average WRF hourly data to obtain daily mean value, seen compare with MODIS. Note that this is only a rough comparison and cannot yield accurate results.
Hi,
I've already tried averaging the data but the results have shown that the outputs are quite different.
So I thought that there should be e better way to obtain a forecast for the whole day.
By the way, do you know if it is possible for WRF to make forecast for a whole day ?

Thank you

All variables in wrfout are instantaneous, which means they can only roughly represent the situation during a period. For daily data, it has to be obtained by averaging instantaneous output.
I am not an expert in remote sensing. I suppose that MODIS data should also be the average of observations at some specific times of the day. if this is the case, can you find the times of MODIS observation, output wrf variables at he same time, then average and compare with MODIS?