hybrid_opt in WRF_3.9.1 dynamics namelist

Topics related to the dynamics/numerics of the WRF model
ajohns14

hybrid_opt in WRF_3.9.1 dynamics namelist

Post by ajohns14 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:15 pm

Hello,
I am trying to run WRF v3.9.1 with the new hybrid vertical coordinate, which the online user guide says should work with this version. I have recompiled with the -hyb flag (configure.wrf attached). However, when I try to run real with hybrid_opt=2 there is an error readying the dynamics namelist. I also notice that there is no HYBRID_OPT variable in the dynamics namelist when I run with the old namelist and check the namelist.output file. Can you please tell me if there is something else I am missing in order to use the hybrid vertical coordinate?
Thanks,
Aaron

kwerner

Re: hybrid_opt in WRF_3.9.1 dynamics namelist

Post by kwerner » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:21 pm

Hi Aaron,
Can you attach that configure.wrf file, and please also attach your namelist.input file, along with the error log from the run?

Thanks!
NCAR/MMM

ajohns14

Post by ajohns14 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:24 pm

Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay! I have attached the requested files in a tar file called wrf.tar but I had to rename it as wrf.png for the upload so it will have to be renamed back to wrf.tar.
Thanks!

ajohns14

Post by ajohns14 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:25 pm

ajohns14 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:24 pm
Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay! I have attached the requested files with .txt appended to the end so I can upload them.
Thanks!
Attachments
configure.wrf.txt
(23.09 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

ajohns14

Post by ajohns14 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:27 pm

more attachements
Attachments
rslfiles.tar.txt
(429.5 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
namelist.output.txt
(78.07 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
namelist.input.txt
(4.73 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

kwerner

Post by kwerner » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:28 pm

Hi,
Thanks for sending those files.
1) Have you made any modifications to your v3.9.1 code, or is it the pristine "out-of-the-box" code?
2) With the rsl* files you gave me, I don't see any error regarding the reading of the dynamics namelist. Did you see an error specifically stating that, or are you assuming there is a problem since it's clearly not processing that part of the namelist?

I just ran a test using your namelist (mostly - I had to modify dates, grid size, etc. to match the met_em* files I was using), with V3.9.1, configured with -hyb, and I don't have any problem with real.exe. I also see 'hybrid_opt' in my namelist.output file, but I can see that you definitely don't have it in yours. If you have not modified the code in any way, can you try 2 things:
1) decrease the number of processors you are using the run real.exe. We typically only run real with a single processor or a handful, while using many more to run wrf. It could be that you are using too many, and something in the hybrid-related code is pushed over the edge with too many.
2) If 1) doesn't help, please attach one of your met_em* files so that I can try a test with your exact input.

Thanks!
NCAR/MMM

Return to “Dynamics and Numerics”