Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Issue using "old data" as input for wrf.exe

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

ltlovell

I initially ran a coarse (3km) grid simulation with a finer (600m) nest. I wanted to further downscale to perform a 120m grid simulation using ndown. I completed the ndown process and renamed the output from ndown.exe to "wrfbdy_d01" and "wrfinput_d01" in preparation for wrf.exe.

I am now having trouble running the 120m grid because WRF thinks I am using "old data" as input. Here is the error from the rsl.error.0000 file:

---- WARNING : Older v3 input data detected
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 598
---- Error : Cannot use moist theta option with old data
-------------------------------------------

I verified that the wrfbdy_d01 and wrfinput_d01 files were indeed from WRFV4.0 using ncdump. The wrfbdy and wrfinput files are clearly from WRFV4.03:

The wrfbdy and wrfinput files are clearly from WRF V4.0.3:

:TITLE = " OUTPUT FROM NDOWN_EM V4.0.3 PREPROCESSOR" ;

This is the same version of WRF that I am using to try and run wrf.exe.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments, I would greatly appreciate it!

We did find that down was broken from WRFV4.0 through V4.1. Please see the details here:
https://github.com/wrf-model/WRF/pull/901

Would you please switch to WRFv4.1.3 and rerun the case? Please let me know if you still have the problem.

I reran ndown (produced wrfinput and wrfbdy files) using WRFV4.1.3. I still receive the same set of errors with the updated version of WRF.

---- WARNING : Older v3 input data detected
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 598
---- Error : Cannot use moist theta option with old data
-------------------------------------------

If it was just a problem with ndown and the vertical refinement, I should only have to rerun the ndown process, correct? Do you have any other suggestions?

I am perplexed by this error message. Can you start from the right beginning, i.e., run wrf.exe using WRFV4.1.3, then run ndown with the same version. Please let me know whether it works.