REAL: error opening wrfinput for writing

Topics specifically related to the real.exe program
neel14

REAL: error opening wrfinput for writing

Post by neel14 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:24 am

Hi, I am getting this error with WRF 4.2. There are similar threads in the forum but no exact solution.
WRF was installed successfully. I have tried the same steps in installation as with previous versions of WRF (4.1.3) and I never faced such an error.Also large file support was enabled and sufficient disk space is there.
Kindly help!

Also
When configuring WRF-4.1.3 , This build of WRF will use classic (non-compressed) NETCDF format is shown. 4.1.3 is working properly.
While configuring WRF-4.2, This build of WRF will use NETCDF4 with HDF5 compression is shown.
Both are configured with the same libraries of NETCDF4 and HDF5. I am confused why is the difference. Could it be a reason for the above error?
Also tried tried different HDF5 versions if it matters.
Attachments
rsl.error.txt
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

kwerner

Re: REAL: error opening wrfinput for writing

Post by kwerner » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:41 pm

Hi,
I don't think the message you got upon building has anything to do with this running problem. I'm not sure why you got a different message when building, unless some environment settings were modified/updated between the 2 builds.

As for the real.exe problem, there is no error message in the file you sent. Can you attach your namelist.input file, and the rest of the the rsl.error.* files so that I can take a look? Thanks!
NCAR/MMM

neel14

Post by neel14 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:58 am

Hi,
I recompiled 4.2, the the issue went away. But I definitely get a different building message with 4.1.3 and 4.2. I have tested several times. I was using netcdf4-4.4.1 and hdf5-1.10.0

Do you have any guide for installing wrf with netcdf4 compression, version nos of NETCDF4 and hdf5 which works without any issues with 4.1.3?
It would be helpful.
Thanks.

Update:
I have installed NETCDF4 4.7.3 with netcdf4 enabled, HDF5 1.10.6 , NETCDFF-4.2, set NETCDF4=1, still I get non compressed format while configuring.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
configure.wrf
(23.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet

kwerner

Post by kwerner » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 pm

Hi,
Unfortunately I'm not aware of the best versions of software for the builds, but I would think any of them should work. Have you followed the guidelines on this page?
https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/bui ... tcdf4.html

Have you set the new paths for netcdf-4 and hdf5 in your environment?
NCAR/MMM

neel14

Post by neel14 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:24 am

kwerner wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 pm
Hi,
Unfortunately I'm not aware of the best versions of software for the builds, but I would think any of them should work. Have you followed the guidelines on this page?
https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/bui ... tcdf4.html

Have you set the new paths for netcdf-4 and hdf5 in your environment?
Yes, I followed that guide and did set the paths.
I tried installing 4.1.4 with netcdf4 compression and it installed without any problem. v4.1.3 definitely has got some bugs.

Return to “real.exe”