Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Chemistry on inner domain only

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

rarthur

Is it possible to run multiple nested domains (on line one way nesting, not ndown) with the chemistry enabled ONLY in the inner domain?

If so, can someone explain how?

So far I have my emissions for the inner domain generated with no problems using prep_chem_sources + convert_emiss for the inner domain. I change the namelist.input to include all the domains + chemistry activated only in the inner domain. Real.exe runs without complaining. But when I try to run wrf, it tries to open emission files for the coarser domain.

As far as I'm aware you need the same chemical scheme in all domains - so that you have the same variables in each domain (so that nesting works properly).

Even if it was possible, I don't think that it would be worthwhile running nested domains with only chemistry in the inner domain. If you are unconcerned about accuracy of the chemical simulations on the outer domain I would, instead, set the chemistry (and other) timesteps to be longer, so that less compute time is spent on the chemistry in those domains.