Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

could chem_opt=132 (CB05 MADE/VBS) use biomass burning and plume rise?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Lily_Zh

Hi all,

A quick question, could chem_opt=132 (CB05 MADE/VBS) use biomass burning and plume rise?
I checked the code chem/module_add_emiss_burn.F, no CB05 in it.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Lily

Hi Lily,

Yes, chem_opt = 132 can incorporate wildfire emissions using biomass_burn_opt = 1, but presently the code is only set up for aerosol species. The code is a bit confusing in that the subroutines for the emissions of aerosols are inside the aerosol mechanisms. For chem_opt = 132, this occurs in the subroutine "sorgam_vbs_addemiss" inside module_aerosols_sorgam_vbs.F.

If you would also like to emit gases, you are correct in that you would need to modify module_add_emiss_burn.F by adding a new case for 132. This process should be relatively straightforward for you if you follow the template of other mechanisms and align it with the species in your emissions files. Please let me know if you have issues though.

Jordan

Hi Jordan,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply and this detailed information. It is very helpful for me.
I found one file https://edepot.wur.nl/412294, it also helps me understand how to add them.

Thank you.

Lily

Hi Jordan,

I set namelsit like this :

io_form_auxinput7 = 2,
frames_per_auxinput7 = 1,
auxinput7_inname = 'wrffirechemi_d<domain>_<date>'
auxinput7_interval_m = 60,

chem_opt = 132,
biomass_burn_opt = 2,
plumerisefire_frq = 30,

when I run wrf.exe, faced an error:
2 input_wrf: wrf_get_next_time current_date: 2019-06-21_00:00:00 Status = -4
d01 2019-06-21_00:00:00 ---- ERROR: Could not find matching time in input file wrffirechemi_d01_2019-06-21_00:00:00
NOTE: 1 namelist vs input data inconsistencies found.
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 1148
NOTE: Please check and reset these options

I think it may expect more hours emission in wrffirechemi_d01_2019-06-21_00:00:00, but I cannot use ncrcat to merge them and it may also need multiple Times in one file. Do you have any idea about this?

Thank you.

Lily

Hi Lily,

Please try this:

Rename the fire emission file as simply: wrffirechemi_d01
Remove all of the *auxinput7* lines from the namelist

Jordan

Hi Jordan,

Thank you for your quick reply!

I modifid io_style_emissions = from 1 to 2 and removed auxinput6_interval_m and io_form_auxinput6 for wrfbio.
and used hourly wrfchemi instead of wrfchemi_00z
It works now.

By the way, I also tried ncecat -u Times to add dimension for hourly wrffirechemi then combine as one wrffirechemi, but model did not accept it and gave error.

Anyway, thank you for your help!

Lily