Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

difference between restart and io_form_auxinput12 options

Naser

Hello everyone,

I want to know if there is any difference between restart and io_form_auxinput12 in WRF-Chem simulation in terms of operation.

As far as I understand, we use restart to continue running from a stopped time. Also, when we set io_form_auxinput12=2, it means the last file from the previous run will be linked with WRF-Chem input.

I understand that in the case of restart, we don't need to run real.exe again; we can directly run wrf.exe. However, in the case of io_form_auxinput12, if we want to use initial and boundary conditions from the last run's output, we have to set io_form_auxinput12=2 and run real.exe and wrf.exe again.

If my understanding is incorrect, please let me know. And if there are more differences in the operation of these two, please inform me.

Thank you,
Naser

Hi,
Where you able to find the correct way to restart in WRF-Chem?
"However, in the case of io_form_auxinput12, if we want to use initial and boundary conditions from the last run's output, we have to set io_form_auxinput12=2 and run real.exe and wrf.exe again." Is it correct?

Thanks

Hello Dear Anie,

Yes, you are right. If we want to use initial and boundary conditions when running real.exe, we need to set io_form_auxinput12=2. If you set it to "0," it means that you don't run real.exe.
If you set restart to true, you don't need to run real.exe; you just have to run wrf.exe. For continuing to run, the model will find the last wrfrst.... file to get a history of the last run. So, continue running from that time. In this case, the set interval for restart depends on you.

I hope I could answer you.

Yours,
Naser