Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Error: time_for_move2: Method failure searching for minimum psfc.

davidl2000

I have an error when trying to run a nested vortex-following domain, constantly pops up at the same point in time no matter how much I rerun through WPS then through WRF.

I'm using the Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-19041-Microsoft x86_64) software ran on Windows 10 (Windows Subsystem for Linux) and compiled WRF (using option 35 (dm+sm gnu compiler) and option 3 vortex-tracking) and WPS (using option 1 (serial gnu compiler)).

Here are the files:
WRF Namelist file - namelist_wrf.txt
WPS Namelist file - namelist_wps.txt
rsl.error0000 file - rsl.error.0000.txt

And this is what the PSFC looks like at the frame it abruptly cuts out with the "time_for_move2: Method failure searching for minimum psfc." error.1661880189433.png
None of the processes prior to running wrf.exe and running into this error about 9 hrs into modeling (starts at 06:00z and errors at 15:00z on the dot) had any errors or shown any during running them.

I've searched online for resources on how to fix this issue and there has been none at all. Any ideas on what I need to do?

Hi,
1) Have you looked through your met_em* files to see if you notice anything wrong with the surface pressure?
2) Has domain 02 started to move yet prior to this point?

I have an error when trying to run a nested vortex-following domain, constantly pops up at the same point in time no matter how much I rerun through WPS then through WRF.

I'm using the Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-19041-Microsoft x86_64) software ran on Windows 10 (Windows Subsystem for Linux) and compiled WRF (using option 35 (dm+sm gnu compiler) and option 3 vortex-tracking) and WPS (using option 1 (serial gnu compiler)).

Here are the files:
WRF Namelist file - namelist_wrf.txt
WPS Namelist file - namelist_wps.txt
rsl.error0000 file - rsl.error.0000.txt

And this is what the PSFC looks like at the frame it abruptly cuts out with the "time_for_move2: Method failure searching for minimum psfc." error.View attachment 7072
None of the processes prior to running wrf.exe and running into this error about 9 hrs into modeling (starts at 06:00z and errors at 15:00z on the dot) had any errors or shown any during running them.

I've searched online for resources on how to fix this issue and there has been none at all. Any ideas on what I need to do?
Hi, did you solve this problem? I got the error just like yours.
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 581
time_for_move2: Method failure searching for minimum psfc.
-------------------------------------------
Attach files are my namelists and error:
If you have solved this problem, please let me know. Thank you very very much!

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.7 KB · Views: 2
  • namelist.wps
    1.6 KB · Views: 2
  • rsl.error.0000
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Hi,
1) Have you looked through your met_em* files to see if you notice anything wrong with the surface pressure?
2) Has domain 02 started to move yet prior to this point?
Hi, I met the same error.
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 581
time_for_move2: Method failure searching for minimum psfc.
-------------------------------------------
I checked the met_em* files files but found nothing wrong. Here are the psfc at 12/15/18Z.
1697178231876.png1697178249906.png1697178276241.png
The simulation lasted for 4h45m till the error occurred, d02 didn't move, but d03 moved slightly (12/15Z d03).
1697178708460.png1697178723346.png
If you have any ideas on it, please let me know. Thank you very much.

@theocat
I'm not certain what exactly is happening with the error you're getting, but I believe the issue may stem from the fact that d03 is probably too close to the boundary of d02. Assuming you're mostly interested in d03, I suggest making d02 much larger. Take a look at this best practice page to see recommendations for setting up nested domains.

@theocat
I'm not certain what exactly is happening with the error you're getting, but I believe the issue may stem from the fact that d03 is probably too close to the boundary of d02. Assuming you're mostly interested in d03, I suggest making d02 much larger. Take a look at this best practice page to see recommendations for setting up nested domains.
Thank you for your reply.
I tried to make d02 larger,and keep 1/3 of the d02 surrounding each side of d03 as the best practice page recommended, but the error poped again.
1698197765122.png
Then I tried a much smaller d03. Fortunately it worked, although I still don't know the exactly reason.
1698197869932.png