Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

generate refiled mesh for mpas-atmosphere

wtjcosl

Hello,

I'm attempting to generate a refined mesh of 100-1 km for MPAS-Atmosphere. I tried MPAS Tools, but it appears to be for ocean and seaice rather than MPAS-A. Although MPAS Tools can generate mesh.nc, it will not pass init atmosphere and will not work with MPAS-A. I believe MPI-SCVT can generate refined meshes without issue, but it takes a very long time. I was wondering if any other mesh generator tools could do the job?

Thank you, as always.

Tianjie

Hi Tianjie,

You can adjust MPAS-Tools + Jigsaw to generate adequate grids for the atmosphere.

Maybe you can use this python script that does this griding for the atmosphere, using MPAS-Tool and Jigsaw:
https://github.com/pedrospeixoto/MPAS-PXT/blob/master/grids/utilities/jigsaw/spherical_grid.py

Let me know if it helps.

All the best,

Pedro.

pedropeixoto said:
Hi Tianjie,

You can adjust MPAS-Tools + Jigsaw to generate adequate grids for the atmosphere.

Maybe you can use this python script that does this griding for the atmosphere, using MPAS-Tool and Jigsaw:
https://github.com/pedrospeixoto/MPAS-PXT/blob/master/grids/utilities/jigsaw/spherical_grid.py

Let me know if it helps.

All the best,

Pedro.

Hi Pedro,

Thank you for the guidance, and they are excellent tools. I admire your effort tremendously.
However, there is a little issue with jigsaw and mpas-tools: jigsaw is only compatible with mpas-ocean and mpas-seaice.
It will only produce triangular mesh, whereas mpas employ a hexagonal grid. (I may be mistaken, but they may employ a different strategy for meshes.)

Using a jigsaw will and does occasionally work for MPAS-A. (especally uniform grid will work but refined mesh will always fail.)

I am unsure of the proper procedure, however I do know that the MPI-SCVT application can generate a working, refined mesh (of cause there is some convert need to be done.)

If you have this kinds of information, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tianjie