Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How can I get WRF to work on my arm64 mac?

kamottol

Hi!

I'm new to coding in general, so I'll try to be as specific as possible, but essentially I'm trying to get WRF to work on my arm64 / aarch64 architecture mac. I'm using python, I have all the necessary dependencies like netcdf etc, but when I download WRF and try to run it it says 'wrong architecture' or something along those lines.

I've seen vague references online to other people getting WRF to work on an arm64 architecture, but can't find any directions on how to actually do so. Firstly, is it actually possible, or am I running in circles? Secondly, does anyone have any info on how I would do so?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Hello,
I have not compiled WRF on the newer Macs with M1 or M2 chips, but I have gotten it to work on older machines. Also, I have gotten it to work on Raspberry Pi's which are ARM machines. Via some extrapolation, it is very likely that you can get it to work on your Mac.

To help further, it would be good to know the answer to the following questions.
1) Does your Mac have the M1 or M2 chip?
2) What version of WRF are you trying to run?
3) Do you know what compilers you are using such as GCC, intel, or PGI? (you are most likely using GCC if you are following the tutorial)
4) Can you screenshot or copy your compile options and the full error message?

Last edited: