Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to get the solar position variables used by WRF-Solar

robson_passos

I am interested in the variables SWDDNI, SWDDIF and SWDOWN and also in the solar position variables (zenithal and azimuthal angle) used during the model integration to calculate the irradiance variables. With the option solar_diagnostics = 1, I have the COZEN variable in the output, which is the cosine of the zenith angle, but when I do the following calculation: swddni = swddir/cos(z), the swddni value obtained is not equal to the value of the supplied SWDDNI in the model output. I believe it's because of the swint_opt = 2. As I'm going to use the irradiance data to calculate the photovoltaic productivity, it's important that I have the solar position variables. In this case, how should I proceed to obtain these two variables (zenith angle and azimuthal angle)? I already looked in the Registry.EM_COMMOM file and couldn't find the azimuthal angle. Regarding the zenith angle, I believe it's just changing the swint_opt to 0, but in that case I won't have the FARMS outputs...

Thank you very much in advance,
Robson

To add variables to the WRF output you need to add the letter h to the proper column in the entry of the variable in the registry.

A sensitivity study using tangent linear models provides us the capability to identify the right variables to perturb in an ensemble prediction system. To add variables to the WRF output you need to add the letter h to the proper column in the entry of the variable in the registry.
My Sanford Chart Login

Last edited: