Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to understand the rt_diabatic_tend

LZH

Hello!
The description of rt_diabatic_tend is that tendency of coupled potential temperature from physics. I find a paper pointing that the coupled potential temperature is potential temperature multiply dry air mass in a column. But I do not find such a field in the MPAS.
Could anyone help me to solve this issue?
Thanks very much

Hi LZH,
To decouple rt_diabatic_tend, you need to divide it by rho_zz, which is included in your history output files.

Thanks for your reply! However, the unit of rt_diabatic_tend is kg K s-1 in the users_guide. I suspect its unit may be wrong. I think it should be kg m-3 K s-1.

Hi LZH,
To decouple rt_diabatic_tend, you need to divide it by rho_zz, which is included in your history output files.
Hello Ming Chen,
Thanks for your reply! I still have some doubts. The unit of rt_diabatic_tend is kg K s-1 in the users_guide. I suspect its unit may be wrong. I think it should be kg m-3 K s-1.

Thanks for the feedback. I would say that the unit of rt_diabatic_tend in the User's Guide is correct. However, the description of this variable in Registry, i..e, the tendency of coupled potential temperature from physics, is wrong.
Looking inside the codes, I believe that this variable is the tendency of potential temperature from physics, not the coupled one.
Please let me know if you still have questions about this variable. I apologize for the confusion. We will fix the description in Registry.

Thanks for the feedback. I would say that the unit of rt_diabatic_tend in the User's Guide is correct. However, the description of this variable in Registry, i..e, the tendency of coupled potential temperature from physics, is wrong.
Looking inside the codes, I believe that this variable is the tendency of potential temperature from physics, not the coupled one.
Please let me know if you still have questions about this variable. I apologize for the confusion. We will fix the description in Registry.
Thanks for the reply. I have checked the codes and agree with you that this variable is the tendency of potential temperature. But, I still have a little doubt. I think its unit should be like other diabatic heating terms such as rthcuten,rthblten, that is K s-1, rather than Kg K s-1 in the User's Guide. I am looking forward for your reply.