Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Idealized WRF Terrain

smeech84

Hi,

I'm using WRF in idealized mode and I'm wondering what 'flat idealized terrain' really is. Is it like a grass field and a low canopy? etc.

What are the specific WRF parameter values used to define the idealized flat surface? Example parameters are surface roughness and/or canopy height or other parameters like Bowen ratio, albedo, etc.

Thanks,
Scott

Hi Scott,
'flat idealized terrain' means there is no topography, i.e., HGT == 0 everywhere. As for other parameters, for example surface roughness and/or canopy height etc., you may notice that many ideal cases such as em_b_wave, em_les, em_quarter_ss don't activate surface scheme. A constant surface drag and heat flux are specified for such ideal case run. I guess this is what "flat idealized terrain" means.

Hi Ming, thanks for your reply.

A constant surface drag and heat flux are specified for such ideal case run. I guess this is what "flat idealized terrain" means.

Do you know how to find these constants? This would be exactly what I would be trying to find out.

They are specified in namelist.inut. Let's take em_les as an example: in the namelist.inout, you can find the line below:
tke_heat_flux = 0.24, 0.24, 0.24,
which specifies surface heat flux for the development of free CBL

Different cases may have different options. Please take a look at the README file for individual cases.