Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Initial condition CRITICAL ERROR: Error in interpolation of st_fg to MPAS

jfqbsm

Hello,
Following the MPAS tutorial practice guide i ran the Limited-area simulation with sucess. So i try to run a simulation with a variable resolution 60-3km using x20.835586 file. I use GFS 0.25° data the same ones that I use to do daily simulation with WRF V4.4 .
When i try to run the initial condition i get the following error: CRITICAL ERROR: Error in interpolation of st_fg to MPAS grid: num_st = 12
Looking in posts related to the same error it would be related to the soil temperature which is at 0 or less, but i didn't find how to solve it.
Enclosed output file from ungrib and log files.
Any help would b welcome

Attachments

• FILE-2024-02-15_00.txt
    533.9 KB · Views: 1
  • log.init_atmosphere.0000.out.txt
    24.3 KB · Views: 2
  • log.init_atmosphere.0001.err.txt
    380 bytes · Views: 2
Although I don't specifically know why it would lead to errors in interpolating soil temperature, it does look from your log file that there may be some problems with the regional static file (bsm.static.nc). From the log.init_atmosphere.0000.out file:
Blending first-guess terrain field along domain boundary
max ter = 0.796401E+29
Also, it seems that there may be just 485 cells in the regional domain:
----- reading dimensions from stream 'input' using file bsm.static.nc
nCells = 485
When accounting for the five relaxation zone layers and two specified zone layers of cells, I would guess that there are very few grid cells in the domain that are not being directly forced by the boundaries. So it may be worth considering a significantly larger regional domain size.

Although I don't specifically know why it would lead to errors in interpolating soil temperature, it does look from your log file that there may be some problems with the regional static file (bsm.static.nc). From the log.init_atmosphere.0000.out file:

Also, it seems that there may be just 485 cells in the regional domain:

When accounting for the five relaxation zone layers and two specified zone layers of cells, I would guess that there are very few grid cells in the domain that are not being directly forced by the boundaries. So it may be worth considering a significantly larger regional domain size.
Thanks for your quick answer.
I enlarged the domain to 640 cells, but i still got the same error.
Could you give me more details about the problems with the regional static file, could it be a problem relating to the topography terrain as the domain center is in the high mountains?
What is the minimum recommended dimension?

Thanks for your quick answer.
I enlarged the domain to 640 cells, but i still got the same error.
Could you give me more details about the problems with the regional static file, could it be a problem relating to the topography terrain as the domain center is in the high mountains?
What is the minimum recommended dimension?
Oups i missed the grid_rotate step before creating the regional domain. So the lowest resolution didn't match with the regional domain. Now i have 25109 cells and it works fine.
Thanks for your help