Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Initialization using ERA5

Jeremy

Hi everyone,

How can I do using ERA-5 atmospheric and soil (soil moisture/soil temperature) for initiation using MPAS model?. Thanks

kind regards,
Jeremy

Are the ERA5 files you are downloading in NetCDF or GRIB format? The file format will determine how you need to pre-process the files in order to get them into the "intermediate" file format required by the init_atmosphere_model program.

In my opinion, working with ERA5 files in GRIB format leads to a simpler workflow, since you can use the WPS ungrib program to convert directly from GRIB to "intermediate" format.

I have some questions with Vtable.

I had seen that some people use ECMWF Vtable. But, in my case I use Vtable.ERA-interim_pl

Which is correct to use ECMWF Vtable or Vtable.ERA-interim_pl?

I followed this recommendation for use Vtable.ERA-interim_pl when I use era5

WRF - Free Data

Which files static, surface, and pressure level from ERA5 recommend to initialize the model?

I will use these variables of era5 for initiliaze the model. What do you think about it?

1) Pressure level variable

- Geopotential
- Temperature
-U velocity
- V velocity
-Relative humidity

2) surface level variable

Sea surface temperature
Volumetric soil water layer 1
Volumetric soil water layer 2
Volumetric soil water layer 3
Volumetric soil water layer 1
Surface pressure
Soil temperature level 1
Mean sea level pressure
10 metre U wind component
10 metre V wind component
2 metre temperature
2 metre dewpoint temperature
Soil temperature level 2
Soil temperature level 3
Skin temperature
Soil temperature level 4

3) Static variable

Lake cover
Low vegetation cover
High vegetation cover
Soil type
Standard deviation of filtered subgrid orography
Geopotential
Standard deviation of orography
Anisotropy of sub-gridscale orography
Angle of sub-gridscale orography
Slope of sub-gridscale orography
Land-sea mask

I downloaded files of surface and pressure level of 2014-02-15 until 2014-02-26. Also I had downloaded the static file only one time.

Then, I am thinking of other methods more quickly. But, I don't know if it is correct.

1) In a folder I copy the era5.static.grb file (static file), the surface grib files and pressure levels grib files .

2) use link_grib.sh
./link_grib.csh *.grb

3. create the namelist.wps: change the reanalysis frequency to 1 hour. Since I do ungrib at the same time for surface and 3d, I simply use the prefix FILE. I am attaching my namelist.wps. Can you check if is correct?

4. execute ungrib.exe

./ungrib.exe > ungrib.log

If you see my explanation I use ungrib just once for process static, surface and pressure levels at the same time .

But, I saw other methodologies in the forum WRF/ MPAS, that they do the following

I have all the e5.oper.an* grib files of surface and presure level , Vtable, namelist.wps, link_grib.csh and ungrib.exe in my directory. Then I cal
l
./link_grib.csh e5.oper.an* ( link all files of surface and pressure level)
followed by
./ungrib.exe
If successful, I should have WPS intermediate file called ERA5:yyyy-mm-dd_HH in my directory

Then , I do the following:

./link_grib.csh e5.oper.invariant*
followed by
./ungrib.exe
If successful, I should have a WPS intermediate file called ERA5_INVARIANT:1979-01-01_00 in my directory.

Combine time-variant and time-invariant fields: This can be done by:
cat ERA5_INVARIANT\:1979-01-01_00 >> ERA5\:yyyy-mm-dd_HH

After , I should have a WPS intermediate file called ERA5:yyyy-mm-dd_HH in my directory which has both time-invariant and time-variant records. This file I can then use to initialize MPAS

I am very confused with the methodologies . Can you help me with it?. Thanks