Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Interpolation problem with MPAS input files generated by WPS with real ERA5 grib data

gbueno_oliveira

Dear All,
I've been having an issue running the ./init_atmosphere module when using real reanalysis (ERA5) data from Copernicus. I was able to run a simulation with real data from GFS, but I get an interpolation error with ERA5 data.
The error I get:
CRITICAL ERROR: Error in interpolation of st_fg to MPAS grid: num_st = 320

In another post, I read (CRITICAL ERROR: Error in interpolation of st_fg to MPAS grid) that this error is related to negative or zero temperature values in the data. I was able to confirm the information in the output log file:
Setting pressure field for isobaric data
Setting SST from SKINTEMP
Bad sm_fg -0.100000000000000E+31 1 2

I've found this post ((RESOLVED) Weird SST/SKINTEMP artifacts along coast) and looking in the METGRID.TBL.ARW from WPS I was able to detect the value:
name=SST
interp_option=sixteen_pt+four_pt
fill_missing=0.
missing_value=-1.E30
flag_in_output=FLAG_SST

The problem is that I use the FILES generated by ./ungrib.exe and even changing the value in the METGRID.TBL.ARW file, I keep getting the same error. I guess it is due to modifying a file used by ./metgrid.exe (since I use ungrib output and not the metgrid output), but I was not able to found where to modify a similar input to run a "correct" ./ungrib.exe.

I appreciate any help someone can give me or tell me if I'm doing some wrong procedure. I've attached the error files and namelist from MPAS. I use WPS 4.2 and MPAS 7.2.

Attachments

• log.init_atmosphere.0000.out.txt
    33.9 KB · Views: 9
  • namelist.init_atmosphere.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 3