Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Issue with Limited Area Single Precision

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

weathertom

I've been able to get a limited area mesh to work successfully with the default (double precision) configuration. However, when I recompiled in single precision and ran the double_to_float_grid program to convert the SCVT grid to a single precision grid it no longer worked. The log file indicated that the bdyMaskCell was zero and therefore would not work with the lbc function enabled. I did an ncdump on the grid.nc file, and it did not contain a bdyMaskCell variable (I did an ncdump on the original double precision grid.nc file and it included bdyMaskCell). I'm guessing (perhaps) double_to_float_grid may need to be updated to account for the limted area functionality?

It's actually not necessary to run the double_to_float_grid conversion tool anymore -- MPAS can now natively read double-precision input files. I've been slowly trying to remove references to the double_to_float_grid tool.

Could you give the model a try using the double-precision regional mesh file created by MPAS-Limited-Area? That should work, but in case it doesn't, I'll be glad to assist!

I apologize if my post was confusing. I am able to successfully run a limited area simulation with double precision. I want to run single precision, but received the error mentioned above when I tried to do so. I will retry with the original double precision grid file while running in single precision mode.

mgduda said:
It's actually not necessary to run the double_to_float_grid conversion tool anymore -- MPAS can now natively read double-precision input files. I've been slowly trying to remove references to the double_to_float_grid tool.

Could you give the model a try using the double-precision regional mesh file created by MPAS-Limited-Area? That should work, but in case it doesn't, I'll be glad to assist!

It may be necessary to add
Code:
precision="double"
to the definition of the "input" stream in the streams.init_atmosphere or streams.atmosphere files. For more details, you can consult section 5.2 of the User's Guide.

Thank you, this worked and allowed me to execute a limited area run in single precision with the GFS IC/BC.

mgduda said:
It may be necessary to add
Code:
precision="double"
to the definition of the "input" stream in the streams.init_atmosphere or streams.atmosphere files. For more details, you can consult section 5.2 of the User's Guide.

Thanks for the update -- it's good to know that you're able to run in single-precision with GFS ICs/LBCs. I'll modify the users guide to remove references to the "double_to_float_grid" utility since it's no longer needed, and since using the "grid_rotate" utility on high-resolution, variable-resolution meshes is known to be problematic (there are no issues with double-precision meshes).