Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

MPAS failing on init_atmosphere_model - landuse

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

cyclone6

Hi,

I've managed to compile and run MPAS atmosphere using the 120-km mesh supplied on the website - assuming I download the x1.40962.static.nc file from the website. When I try to recreate the static file from the x1.40962.grid.nc, I get the following error:

CRITICAL ERROR: Could not read file /mnt/drives/DDrive/hold/WPS_GEOG/modis_landuse_20class_30s/00001-01200.00001-01200

(this with config_landuse_data = 'MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH'

When I change to config_landuse_data = 'USGS', I get:

CRITICAL ERROR: Could not read file /mnt/drives/DDrive/hold/WPS_GEOG/landuse_30s/00001-01200.00001-01200

This WPS_GEOG directory exists, and I've been using it for WRF for a long time. When I look through that directory, I don't see any folder "modis_landuse_20class_30s" or "landuse_30" - nor do I see them in any of the available WPS downloads. I do see both of these directories available with a lakes option, e.g. "modis_landuse_20class_30s_with_lakes"...

Am I missing something?

Thanks...

The WRF geographical dataset download previously contained all of the static fields that MPAS-Atmosphere needed, but I think this is no longer true, and it may be necessary to manually download the MODIS 30-arc-second land use dataset as well as the USGS 30-arc-second land use dataset. This post should provide the links that you can use to download these before unpacking them alongside other datasets in you WRF geographical data directory: https://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5548&p=10733#p10733 .

That was it. Thank you.

The MPAS-A documentation and tutorials say to use WPS data to run init_atmosphere - perhaps those data sets should be reinserted into the WPS data download since it's required? I imagine this question must come up all the time when someone attempts to create their first static file for MPAS-A...