Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

namelist questions

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

littleho_song

&stoch
skebs = 0,
tot_backscat_t = 1e-06,
perturb_bdy = 0,
nens = 01,
/

for example, if I have two domain, should I specify both? Why sometimes it is one, sometimes requires two? This would cause a lot of confusion and the output errors are really misleading.

There used to be an error about CFL, but now it doesn't have that.

mpirun noticed that process rank 28 with PID 36639 on node rscgrid1hn1 exited on signal 11(Segmentation fault).

How can I get it is CFL error from wrf.log file?

littleho_song said:
&stoch
skebs = 0,
tot_backscat_t = 1e-06,
perturb_bdy = 0,
nens = 01,
/

for example, if I have two domain, should I specify both? Why sometimes it is one, sometimes requires two? This would cause a lot of confusion and the output errors are really misleading.

Hi, when you look into user's guide, chapter "Description of Namelist Variables", you will see for any particular namelist entry that it either has "(max_dom)" or does not have it. If there is "(max_dom)" for that entry, then you need to specify values for all domains you use in that run. If there is no "(max_dom)" then only one entry should be specified, and it is valid for all your domains:

http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/docs/user_guide_v4/v4.1/users_guide_chap5.html#Namelist

littleho_song said:
There used to be an error about CFL, but now it doesn't have that.

mpirun noticed that process rank 28 with PID 36639 on node rscgrid1hn1 exited on signal 11(Segmentation fault).

How can I get it is CFL error from wrf.log file?

Those errors will be in rsl.* files in your run directory, if they happen. Note here that sometimes WRF can die faster than it is able to write anything about cfl error so log files might not mention CFL in such case (but you will still have segmentation fault written in that case in at least one of rsl.* files). The most effective fix to resolve CFL errors is to reduce time step.