Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

ncl shows error with wrf plot

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

I have a wrf out file with t size 96 (a control simulation of tropical cyclone for 12days with 3 hour temporal resolution).
I want to plot this with ncl. it shows following error given below.

jayanti@jayanti-HP-ProDesk-600-G3-MT:~/WRF/WRF/run$ ncl wrf.ncl
Copyright (C) 1995-2019 - All Rights Reserved
University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
NCAR Command Language Version 6.6.2
The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
warning:_NclOpenFile: cannot open file </home/jayanti/WRF/WRF/runwrfout_d01_2019-04-23_00:00:00.nc>; No such file or directory

warning:isfilevar: undefined file returning missing value
fatal:The result of the conditional expression yields a missing value. NCL can not determine branch, see ismissing function
fatal:["Execute.c":8637]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 1952 in file /usr/local/ncl-6.6.2/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8637]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 73 in file wrf.ncl

I dont understand the error.

Attachments

• wrf.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 80
The issue is that NCL cannot find the variable HGT in the wrf file. Are you sure it is in your wrf file? This is what you try to call on line 73.