Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Parameters for LCC and Geogrid

Hello,
My questions are related to the parameters for a LCC projection. According to the User Guide, the ref_lat and ref_lon variables specify the latitude and longitude for the center of the coarse domain. Then, you also have truelat1 & 2 (standard latitudes) plus stand_lon (standard longitude), which are described as LCC parameters. However, the LCC decriptions that I have seen use 4 parameters. For example a proj4 string could read something like:
"+proj=lcc +lat_1=33.0 +lat_2=45.0 +lat_0=40.0 +lon_0=-97.0 +datum=WGS84 +no_defs"
Let me parse my questions:
1 - Are we supposed to use the variable ref_lat (from namelist.wps) as the standard latitude (or latitude of origin) for lat_0 in addition to being the center of the coarse domain?
2 - If so, and for a hypothetical case where ref_lon and stand_lon are different (e.g. ref_lon=-78.0, ref_lat = 40.0, stand_lon=-97 ), would that mean that the center of the domain can be displaced (versus the projection) in the east-west direction but not in north-south direction?
3 - Is it possible to use False_easting or False_northing with Geogrid?
Thanks.

I'm not that well versed in map projections, but I can offer a few comments that might help:

1) Taking the WPS namelist option ref_lat to be the lat_0 value in the proj-string seems reasonable to me.
2) My guess is that the stand_lon namelist option should correspond to lon_0 in the proj-string. How to handle a ref_lon value that differs from a stand_lon value would probably depend on exactly what you're trying to do.
3) No, there is no option to specify a false easting or a false northing directly in geogrid.

Conceptually (and based on what I can remember from when we wrote the geogrid program some years ago) the setup of the coarse domain in geogrid (specifically, using a Lambert conformal conic projection), goes something like the following:

1) First, truelat1 and truelat2 are used to define the shape of the projection cone.
2) The stand_lon value is then used to define the meridian that is parallel to the y-axis, and the projection cone is split along the meridian opposite (+180 degrees) of the stand_lon.
3) The units on the projection are scaled by the nominal grid distance (dx and dy; from meters to grid cells, effectively).
4) A false easting and false northing equal to the negative of the coordinates of the south-west (i.e., the (1,1)) grid cell are applied, so that that projection coordinates (1,1) now locate the lower-left / south-west grid cell in the coarse domain.

So maybe it's almost the case that the ref_lat and ref_lon values imply a certain false easting and false northing?