Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Problem for WRFDA 3DVAR run with IASI BUFR data

kminkim

Hello everyone

I have a problem running my WRFDA 3Dvar case.
I compiled WRFDA based on WRF 4.4.2 and RTTOV 12.1.
I attempted to run 3DVAR with IASI BUFR data obtained from NCEP GDAS Satellite Data(NCAR RDA Dataset ds735.0).
However, the 3DVAR process stopped at rttov_checkinput.F90 with this WRFDA version, RTTOV, and IASI data.
In rsl.error.0000, the reason da_wrfvar.exe stopped was the invalid zenith angle.
Interestingly, when I tried to run da_wrfvar.exe with CRTM, data assimilation worked.

Do I need to pre-process radiance data before running da_wrfvar.exe?
Or is it not possible to use IASI BUFR data with RTTOV?
I would appreciate any ideas on how to solve this problem.

Best regards
Kyoungmin Kim

Attachments

• namelist.input
    1.6 KB · Views: 11
  • rsl.error.0000
    55.8 KB · Views: 6
  • rsl.out.0000
    10.2 KB · Views: 5
Hello kminkim,

I've used iasi data with rttov before, and it looks like wrfda is reading in the iasi file according to your rsl.out.0000. I also have never had to do any sort of preprocessing on bufr files when running them with wrfda. I wonder if there was an error with your rttov compilation? There are checks you can perform to test if your rttov installation was successful and those can be found in some of the rttov documentation.

Cheers,
JeremyB

Hello kminkim,

I've used iasi data with rttov before, and it looks like wrfda is reading in the iasi file according to your rsl.out.0000. I also have never had to do any sort of preprocessing on bufr files when running them with wrfda. I wonder if there was an error with your rttov compilation? There are checks you can perform to test if your rttov installation was successful and those can be found in some of the rttov documentation.

Cheers,
JeremyB
Thanks for your reply. As you mentioned, I will compile RTTOV again and check the RTTOV installation with testing.

Thanks for your reply. As you mentioned, I will compile RTTOV again and check the RTTOV installation with testing.
Hello kminkim,
I'm using the iasi data with rttov now,i gus i having same trouble with you,are you sovled this problem by compiling RTTOV again?and i also think this problem may not caused by rttov because i used amsua data with rttov which it successed,and the different between i and you is that i used metop-1-iasi(matop-b),and i set the
rtminit_platform= 10,
rtminit_satid = 1,
rtminit_sensor = 16,
it must to say i saw the same peoblem in the rsl.error.0000 as you,if you have solved this error ,can you tell me the method you used? thank you
Cheers,captain

Last edited:
Hello kminkim,
I'm using the iasi data with rttov now,i gus i having same trouble with you,are you sovled this problem by compiling RTTOV again?and i also think this problem may not caused by rttov because i used amsua data with rttov which it successed,and the different between i and you is that i used metop-1-iasi(matop-b),and i set the
rtminit_platform= 10,
rtminit_satid = 1,
rtminit_sensor = 16,
it must to say i saw the same peoblem in the rsl.error.0000 as you,if you have solved this error ,can you tell me the method you used? thank you
Cheers,captain
Hello captain_WU,
I'm sorry. I couldn't solve that problem. I tried to compile RTTOV again and check the process for IASI in WRFDA. But, I couldn't find the error for compiling RTTOV and failed to run WRFDA. It is not possible for me to use IASI in data assimilation with RTTOV given my current capabilities.

Hello captain_WU,
I'm sorry. I couldn't solve that problem. I tried to compile RTTOV again and check the process for IASI in WRFDA. But, I couldn't find the error for compiling RTTOV and failed to run WRFDA. It is not possible for me to use IASI in data assimilation with RTTOV given my current capabilities.
thanks for your reply,that’s so terrible ,i have not find the reason yet

Hello everyone, I'm new to the FORUM. I also encountered the same problem of Kminkim. The 3dVar assimilation procedure stopped when I try to ingest IASI BUFR data, because of "invalid zenith angle".
Have you found a solution for assimilating IASI BUFR data (obtained from NCEP GDAS Satellite Data, NCAR RDA Dataset ds735.0)
in the WRFDA (version 4.4.1), using RTTOV (Version 12.3)?

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could give me some suggestions.

Thank you very much,
Samantha