Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

problem with the x4.163842 (92-25km) mesh initialization

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

zheng6tCMICH

Hello,

When using the x4.163842 mesh downloaded from the MPAS-Atmosphere site, the init_atmosphere generated initial condition file x4.163842.init.nc has its horizontal wind fields obviously wrong. The wind field is completely different from that in the CFSR (used for initialization) and very chaotic. I tried different analysis (EAR-interim) and different meshes, and different model version (v6.3 and v7.0): only this particular mesh (x4.163842) has this problem.
My question is whether it is possible this mesh file x4.163842.grid.nc is somehow corrupted?

Thanks in advance.

Tao
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tao Zheng
Associate Professor
Geography Department
Central Michigan University
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Could you try creating initial conditions on the original, unrotated x4.163842 mesh? I'm assuming you've needed to rotate the location of the mesh refinement to your region of interest, and it is possible that the mesh rotation process may be problematic (though I'm not sure why only this particular mesh would be affected).