Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Qestions for indirect soil nudging using OBSGRID

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Kechen Li

Hi,
Recently, I run an assimilation experiment of indirect soil nudging with Pleim-Xiu Land Surface Model in WRF3.9.1. The section fdda in namelist.input are shown below:
& fdda
grid_fdda = 1, 0, 0,
gfdda_inname = "wrffdda_d<domain>",
gfdda_interval_m = 360, 360, 360,
gfdda_end_h = 360, 240, 240,
io_form_gfdda = 2,
fgdt = 0, 0, 0,
if_no_pbl_nudging_uv = 0, 0, 0,
if_no_pbl_nudging_t = 1, 0, 0,
if_no_pbl_nudging_q = 1, 0, 0,
if_zfac_uv = 1, 0, 0,
k_zfac_uv = 10, 10, 10,
if_zfac_t = 0, 0, 0,
k_zfac_t = 10, 10, 10,
if_zfac_q = 0, 0, 0,
k_zfac_q = 10, 10, 10,
guv = 0.0000
gt = 0.0000
gq = 0.0000
if_ramping = 1,
dtramp_min = 60.0,
grid_sfdda = 1, 0, 0,
sgfdda_inname = "wrfsfdda_d<domain>"
sgfdda_interval_m = 180, 180,
sgfdda_end_h = 360, 2184,
io_form_sgfdda = 2,
guv_sfc = 0.0000, 0.0000,
gt_sfc = 0.0000, 0.0000,
gq_sfc = 0.0000, 0.0000,
rinblw = 250.,
pxlsm_soil_nudge = 1, 1, 1,
/
I set "guv, gt, gq,guv_sfc, gt_sfc and gq_sfc equal 0" because I just need the observation surface data in wrfsfdda_d<domain> file to do indirect soil nudging. The wrfsfdda_d<domain> file is created by Objective Analysis (OBSGRID) with "met_em*" files and Surface data files in NCEP BUFR format(http://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds461.0/). In the assimilation experiment, I just assimilate the soil moisture and twmperature of partial region of the Model simulation domain because I just want to investigate the impact of soil assimilation in partial region on the precipition in the whole Model simulation domain. Therefore, I wonder if the data in "met_em*" files influence the assimilation, or if the data in files "met_em*" are also assimilated by the file "wrfsfdda_d<domain>" file.
For my question, I have done some works. I compared 3 experiments: (1) no assimilation; (2) do OBSGRID with files "met_em*" and observation surface data outside the simulation domain to create wrfsfdda_d<domain> and then run "wrf.exe "; (3) do OBSGRID with "met_em*" files and observation surface data in partial region of simulation domain to create wrfsfdda_d<domain> and then run "wrf.exe". Experiments (2) and (3) share the same namelist.input file. I find the results of 3 experiments are different. Besides, the different regions of 2-m temperature and soil moisture between experiments (2) and (3) are basically in the region of soil assimilation by indirect soil nudging. The different regions of 2-m temperature and soil moisture between experiments (1) and (3) are not similar with different regions between experiments (2) and (3). So the data in files "met_em*" may be also assimilated. But why and how?
I will apreciate it if someone could explain it and provide some references.