Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Run MPAS without .graph.info.part. files

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

xtian15

Hi,
I've been trying to generate initial conditions with a variable resolution grid file without the ".graph.info.part." files. The files I can have are "x4.40962.grid.nc" and "x4.40962.graph.info". I tried to generate the static.nc with commands of "./init_atmosphere" or "mpirun -np 1 ./init_atmosphere". The problem is that in the "static.nc", the variable meshDensity are 0 everywhere. Therefore any simulations from there on would quickly generate NaNs.
So my question is in this case, what is the correct way of running MPAS-Atmosphere in order to have valid results.
Thanks,
Tian

Without a graph.info.part.NNN file, you will only be able to run the init_atmosphere_model or atmosphere_model programs with a single MPI task. Both of the options that you mentioned ("./init_atmosphere_model" and "mpirun -np 1 ./init_atmosphere_model") should work -- I run the init_atmosphere_model program this way quite often.

Can you verify that the meshDensity field is non-zero in your x4.40962.grid.nc file?

Hi, Mike,
Thanks for your response!
Actually, I just found that the variable "meshDensity" does not exist in the x4.40962.grid.nc file I have. I've been searching around for ways to maybe possibly calculate it myself but had no luck. That's why I posted another thread asking to generate a new set of such mesh if possible.
Thanks,
Tian