Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Some issues with The RADM2 chemical mechanism and MADE/SORGAM aerosol

ramousta

Hi everybody!
I am using the RADM2 chemical mechanism and MADE/SORGAM aerosol including some aqueous reactions (chem_opt= 11). I want to share with you my experience with this chemical mechanism and get some answers to the following questions:

Question 1:
Since the wrfchem guide is not updated, I tried to read the code and understand what different options I have to use for dust emission when working with chem_opt= 11.
in module_aerosols_sorgam.F, there are two options for dust_opt = 2 and 13. The first option is disabled due to some problems, but when I use dust_opt = 13 I got very high unrealistic values for PM10 and Pm2.5 (see attached Fig).
I think it is a dust emission adopted to be used with MADE/SORGAM aerosol, But it is not working in my case.
Is it ok to use dust_opt = 1 (GOCART dust emissions)? In this case I got realistic values (see attached Fig).

I want to note that we can also use dust_opt = 13 for chem_opt= 202 (MOZART-MOSAIC (4 bins + VBS SOA + aqeuous chemistry)). In this case I got realistic values.

Question 2:
I am using Edgar data. I use these options:
emiss_opt = 3 = uses RADM2-MADE/SORGAM anthropogenic emissions
emiss_inpt_opt = 1 = Emissions are speciated for RADM2/SORGAM.

Can I change emiss_inpt_opt to :
emiss_inpt_opt = 102 = RADM2 emission speciation adapted after reading data file to follow the RADM2/SORGAM framework (including isoprene)

Question 3:
If I let default value for use_theta_m (=1), my run gets stuck after 120 hour of forecast with this message:
d01 2010-05-07_00:10:30 calling inc/PERIOD_BDY_EM_A_inline.inc
d01 2010-05-07_00:10:30 call rk_phys_bc_dry_1
d01 2010-05-07_00:10:30 call init_zero_tendency
d01 2010-05-07_00:10:30 calling inc/HALO_EM_PHYS_A_inline.inc

I tried to make some changes to time_step, because I thought it is something related to the stability or the dynamic, or chemdt, but it does not help a lot the program freezes and I need to kill it. Perhaps a problem with initial and boundary conditions created by real.exe.
If I set use_theta_m = 0 for real.exe and wrf.exe, the job never freezes and it finishes without any error.
Is it ok to work with use_theta_m = 0 ?

Here I want to note that I used more than 4 different chemical mechanisms without any problem. The problem appears only for RADM2 chemical mechanism and MADE/SORGAM aerosol (chem_opt= 11).

Thank you so much for any help.
Rachid

Attachments

• chem_opt11_dust_opt13.png
    chem_opt11_dust_opt13.png
    301 KB · Views: 17
  • chem_opt11_dust_opt1.png
    chem_opt11_dust_opt1.png
    511.2 KB · Views: 16
  • namelist.input
    21.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited: