Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Successful Setup for MPAS-A

nickheavens-cgg

Dear all,

As requested, I am providing an outline of my successful port of v6.x MPAS-A GPU

CPU: 56xIntel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6258R CPU @ 2.70 GHz
GPU: 2xQuadro RTX 6000

After substantial modification, I was able to build this with the GNU 12.3 compilers, but it did not compile properly on the GPUs themselves.
I therefore obtained the Portland Group compilers from the Nvidia HPC SDK (23.7-0).
I built separate MPI compilers by installing MPICH 4.1.2.
I needed to set PSM3_HAL=verbs or PSM3_DEVICES=self to prevent the automatic engagement of an interconnect device that does not exist.
I then installed in order:
zlib1.2.13
hdf5-1.14.1-2
pnetcdf-1.12.3
netcdf-c-4.9.2
netcdf-fortran-4.6.1
pio2.6.0.

I compiled using the pgi option in the Makefile but needed to change FFLAGS_ACC
"FFLAGS_ACC = -Mnofma -acc -target=gpu -Minfo=accel" \

I needed to comment out the OpenACC instructions for the ysu2d routine in src/core_atmosphere/physics/physics_wrf/module_bl_ysu.F. Individual loops were causing kernel errors, and I kept getting NaN errors coming out of calculations.

Once this was done, I could run a realistic global simulation at 60 km resolution using:
MPAS_DYNAMICS_RANKS_PER_NODE=12 MPAS_RADIATION_RANKS_PER_NODE=20 MPICH_GPU_SUPPORT_ENABLED=1 mpiexec -np 32 atmosphere_model &> test.out
16 ranks each also works fine.
With just 2 GPU of 24 GB memory, running at higher resolution will overwhelm my GPU memory.

Thanks so much for the report, and apologies for the slow followup on our end!

It looks like the default FFLAGS_ACC in the develop-openacc branch has
Code:
FFLAGS_ACC = -Mnofma -acc -ta=tesla:cc70,cc80 -Minfo=accel
while the 'nvhpc' target in the current v8.0.1 release (which doesn't yet support GPU execution outside of the inclusion of what we believe to be the correct compiler flags) has
Code:
FFLAGS_ACC = -Mnofma -acc -gpu=cc70,cc80 -Minfo=accel
Since the 'nvhpc' target's flags are different from what you've had to use ("-Mnofma -acc -target=gpu -Minfo=accel") it would be interesting to know whether "-Mnofma -acc -gpu=cc70,cc80 -Minfo=accel" would also work for your setup.

Thanks so much for the report, and apologies for the slow followup on our end!

It looks like the default FFLAGS_ACC in the develop-openacc branch has
Code:
FFLAGS_ACC = -Mnofma -acc -ta=tesla:cc70,cc80 -Minfo=accel
while the 'nvhpc' target in the current v8.0.1 release (which doesn't yet support GPU execution outside of the inclusion of what we believe to be the correct compiler flags) has
Code:
FFLAGS_ACC = -Mnofma -acc -gpu=cc70,cc80 -Minfo=accel
Since the 'nvhpc' target's flags are different from what you've had to use ("-Mnofma -acc -target=gpu -Minfo=accel") it would be interesting to know whether "-Mnofma -acc -gpu=cc70,cc80 -Minfo=accel" would also work for your setup.
I've been on holiday, so I was unable to try this until this morning. Building the develop-openacc branch with the default FFLAGS_ACC is successful. However, my test case crashes at the first post-initialisation radiation call (30 minutes in). The presenting error is a failure of a pressure column test in mpas_atmphys_interface.F.

Code:
!check that the pressure in the layer above the surface is greater than that in the layer

!above it:

do j = jts,jte

do i = its,ite

if(pres_p(i,1,j) .le. pres_p(i,2,j)) then

call mpas_log_write('')

call mpas_log_write('--- subroutine MPAS_to_phys - pressure(1) < pressure(2):')

call mpas_log_write('i =$i', intArgs=(/i/))

call mpas_log_write('latCell=$r', realArgs=(/latCell(i)/degrad/))

call mpas_log_write('lonCell=$r', realArgs=(/lonCell(i)/degrad/))

do k = kts,kte

call mpas_log_write('$i $i $i $r $r $r $r $r $r $r $r', intArgs=(/j,i,k/),&

realArgs=(/dz_p(i,k,j),pressure_b(k,i),pressure_p(k,i),pres_p(i,k,j), &

rho_p(i,k,j),th_p(i,k,j),t_p(i,k,j),qv_p(i,k,j)/))

I've attached an example of the log.

1692873017943.png

My best guess is that A100 or V100 specific compilation of the default flags is inappropriate for the RTX6000. Not specifying a compute architecture probably creates a more generalised, less optimised result. Take from that what you will.

Nick

@nickheavens-cgg, thanks from me as well for trying this. Especially for documenting this on the forum.

The error you noted is something myself and another colleague are currently working on. It seems that a pressure variable is getting incorrect (zero) values, causing other calculations to go off-track, and eventually a segfault. Sadly no solution at this moment, but I will update when there is.

Dear all,

As requested, I am providing an outline of my successful port of v6.x MPAS-A GPU

CPU: 56xIntel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6258R CPU @ 2.70 GHz
GPU: 2xQuadro RTX 6000

After substantial modification, I was able to build this with the GNU 12.3 compilers, but it did not compile properly on the GPUs themselves.
I therefore obtained the Portland Group compilers from the Nvidia HPC SDK (23.7-0).
I built separate MPI compilers by installing MPICH 4.1.2.
I needed to set PSM3_HAL=verbs or PSM3_DEVICES=self to prevent the automatic engagement of an interconnect device that does not exist.
I then installed in order:
zlib1.2.13
hdf5-1.14.1-2
pnetcdf-1.12.3
netcdf-c-4.9.2
netcdf-fortran-4.6.1
pio2.6.0.

I compiled using the pgi option in the Makefile but needed to change FFLAGS_ACC
"FFLAGS_ACC = -Mnofma -acc -target=gpu -Minfo=accel" \

I needed to comment out the OpenACC instructions for the ysu2d routine in src/core_atmosphere/physics/physics_wrf/module_bl_ysu.F. Individual loops were causing kernel errors, and I kept getting NaN errors coming out of calculations.

Once this was done, I could run a realistic global simulation at 60 km resolution using:
MPAS_DYNAMICS_RANKS_PER_NODE=12 MPAS_RADIATION_RANKS_PER_NODE=20 MPICH_GPU_SUPPORT_ENABLED=1 mpiexec -np 32 atmosphere_model &> test.out
16 ranks each also works fine.
With just 2 GPU of 24 GB memory, running at higher resolution will overwhelm my GPU memory.
Hi nickheavens-cgg,
I noticed that there is no "configure" file after I downloaded pio2.6.2 from GitHub - NCAR/ParallelIO: A high-level Parallel I/O Library for structured grid applications. Please see all files and sub-directories in the main folder of package of pio2.6.2. How did you build your pio2.6 without configure file?

Thanks,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-20 112312.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-20 112312.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 1
Dear Feng Liu,

Yes, ParallelIO installation from source was rather difficult.

I first had to add my zlib, HDF, MPICH, netCDF-C, and netCDF-Fortran libraries to the library path.

I then invoked libtoolize. You just type:
Less:
libtoolize

I then had to generate the configure file using autoreconf like this, with $MYDIR being the long directory name before everything.

Code:
autoreconf -i && LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/hpc_sdk/Linux_x86_64/23.7/cuda/lib64:$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/zlib-install/lib:$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/hdf-install/lib:$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/mpich-install/lib:$MYDIR//nvidia_gpu_mpas/netcdf-c-install/lib:$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/netcdf-f-install/lib:$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/pnetcdf-install/lib:$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/hpc_sdk/Linux_x86_64/23.7/compilers/lib CC=mpicc CPPFLAGS="-I$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/zlib-install/include -I$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/hdf-install/include  -I$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/mpich-install/include -I$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/pnetcdf-install/include -I$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/netcdf-c-install/include -I$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/netcdf-f-install/include " LDFLAGS="-L$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/zlib-install/lib -L$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/hdf-install/lib  -L$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/mpich-install/lib -L$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/pnetcdf-install/lib -L$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/netcdf-c-install/lib -L$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/netcdf-f-install/lib"      CFLAGS='-g'  ./configure --prefix=$MYDIR/nvidia_gpu_mpas/pio-install && make check install

For the checks to work properly, I needed to make sure to get the right MPI communication layer:

Code:
export PSM3_HAL = verbs

I think there's a Cmake option for building as well. See: PIO: CMake Install Walk-through

Nick