Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

TOTAL CLOUD COVER (TCC)

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Dear Supporters,
I need to calculate the TCC from wrfout files, to be used by an ocean model.
I found the calculation of cfrac in the diagnostic ncl function wrf_user_getvar, that is supposed to calculate the cloud fraction in three different atmosphere layers, as like the TCC calculation needs.
  • why the sum of the three cfrac values for low, medium and high clouds somewhere exceeds 1?
  • the calculation invokes the function wrf_cloud_fraction(vert, rh, vert_inc_w_height, low_thresh, mid_thresh, high_thresh, msg) but I was not able to find it, to look at the calculation performed
  • so I moved to wrf_pyton and I found in the file /wrf-python/fortran/wrf_cloud_fracf.f90 the DCLOUDFRAC2 subroutine where each of the cloud fraction calculated are checked to be in the 0-1 interval, and in case not, set to 0 or 1. This unfortunately does not prevent their sum to exceed 1.
I'm a bit confused on the way to proceed, could anyone help me?
Thank you very much
best regards