Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Turning off temperature tendencies in Thompson scheme related to melting and evaporation

tzaremba

Hello, I am attempting to disable the temperature tendencies in the Thompson microphysics scheme due to melting and evaporation. I am running WRFV4.4.1 on Derecho. After recompiling the code and running simulations for my outer domains (8.1 km, 2.7 km, and 900 m), I observed minimal differences in the latent heating field when the temperature tendency for melting was turned off. I would like to ensure that I have correctly modified the Thompson microphysics scheme and that I am plotting the appropriate variable (h_diabatic - the latent heating term due to microphysics). My changes in the Thompson microphysics scheme are marked with a !Modify. Additionally, are there any other steps I should take to accomplish turning off the temperature tendencies due to melting and evaporation?

Here is how I recompiled on Derecho:

Uploaded my new microphysics modules with name module_mp_thompson.f to phys folder.

./clean -a

module load ncarenv/23.06
module load intel-classic/2023.0.0
module load ncarcompilers/1.0.0
module load cray-mpich/8.1.25
module load craype/2.7.20
module load netcdf/4.9.2

./configure
Option 50

./compile em_real >& compile.log &

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 8.06.33 AM.png
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• module_mp_thompson_no_melt.F.txt
    211.8 KB · Views: 0
  • module_mp_thompson_no_evap.F.txt
    212.3 KB · Views: 0
  • namelist.input.txt
    5.9 KB · Views: 0
  • my_iofields_list.txt
    17 bytes · Views: 0
Have you tried the option "no_mp_heating = 1"? It turns off latent heating from microphysics. Is this what you intend to do?