Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

ungrib.exe not created, geogrid.exe & metgrid.exe 0 size

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

bhb004

I'm attempting to compile WPS following the instructions in the online tutorial at https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/compilation_tutorial.php#STEP5
and am finding that ungrib.exe is not created, while geogrid.exe and metgrid.exe are of zero size.

I've searched for "Error" in log.compile and found the first instance to be

>...read_namelist.f90:73.25:
>
> add_lvls, new_plvl, interp_type, ec_rec_len, pmin
> 1
>Error: NAMELIST attribute conflicts with ALLOCATABLE attribute in 'new_plvl' at (1)
>read_namelist.f90:241.20:
>
> read(10,NML=ungrib,END=100)
> 1
>Error: Symbol 'ungrib' at (1) must be a NAMELIST group name

A further error is as follows:

>ar: creating libpgu.a
>ar: read_namelist.o: No such file or directory
>make[1]: [libpgu.a] Error 1 (ignored)
>ranlib libpgu.a
>ranlib: 'libpgu.a': No such file
>make[1]: [libpgu.a] Error 1 (ignored)

I attach the configure.wps and log.compile files. Assistance would be appreciated as I cannot figure out what is going on here!

Attachments

• configure.wps
    3.4 KB · Views: 20
  • log.compile
    106.5 KB · Views: 20
From your log.compile file, it looks like you're using the GNU 4.4.7 compilers, which are quite old and likely don't support the use of allocatable arrays in namelists, which appears to be the source of the first error in your log:
Code:
gfortran -c -ffree-form -O -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4  read_namelist.f90
read_namelist.f90:73.25:

add_lvls, new_plvl, interp_type, ec_rec_len, pmin
Error: NAMELIST attribute conflicts with ALLOCATABLE attribute in 'new_plvl' at (1)

Could you try updating to a more recent version of the GNU C and Fortran compilers?

Thanks very much for your reply. My administrator was not able for some reason to update gfortran on the machine I was using.

I switched to a different machine with gcc 4.8.5 and now have a different error. (WRF will not compile now for an idealised case, though this was working on the other machine with gcc 4.4.7.) I will try to figure out what's wrong and make another post if I can't.