Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Unrealistic T2 when using time varying aerosols and NoahMP

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

scapps

Greetings,

I am seeing very unrealistic T2 (>315K in the winter) values primarily over LU_INDEX=16 grid cells mostly during the nighttime hours when using WRF version 4.3.0 with the following namelist.input settings:

&time_control
auxinput15_inname = 'wrfgeos_d<domain>',
auxinput15_outname = 'auxinput15_d<domain>_<date>',
auxinput15_interval = 60, 60, 60,
io_form_auxinput15 = 2,

&physics
aer_opt = 2,
aer_aod550_opt = 2, 2, 2,
aer_angexp_opt = 2, 2, 2,

I am using time-varying aerosols from GEOS5 forecasts (wrfgeos_d<domain> files attached). I see no extreme aerosol AOD and ANG values in those files. T2 increases throughout the nighttime (see attached image) when it should be decreasing.

This does not happen when I use constant aerosols with the following namelist.input settings:
aer_opt = 2,
aer_aod550_opt = 1, 1, 1,
aer_aod550_val = 0.12,
aer_angexp_opt = 1, 1, 1,
aer_angexp_val = 1.3,

All other output appears to be fine (TSK, etc.), so the problem could be with how the diagnostic T2 is calculated within the NoahMP LSM.

I can provide the wrfgeos, wrfinput, wrfbdy, and other files upon request.

Thank you.

Attachments

• namelist.input
    6.8 KB · Views: 15
  • namelist.wps
    1.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image.png
    image.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 330
Hi there,

I am having a similar issue when using aer_opt = 2 and NoahMP. I noticed some unreasonable T2 values in the D02 data (particularly over water) and have tracked this down to an issue with the Q2 variable. At certain timesteps (the second to the seventh timesteps in all the d02 hourly data files), Q2 is zero over water.

This issue only occurs in the nested domain while the outer domain values are fine.

How does your Q2 data look? Also, is the issue present in your outer domain or just in the two nested domains?

I’m attaching my namelist and a screen dump of the problematic Q2 output.

Attachments

• namelist.wrf
    7.2 KB · Views: 15
  • wrfhrly_Q2_first_timestep.png
    wrfhrly_Q2_first_timestep.png
    556.1 KB · Views: 305
  • wrfhrly_Q2_second_timestep.png
    wrfhrly_Q2_second_timestep.png
    407.4 KB · Views: 305
We found a way around our issue by adding the following to the global NetCDF attributes of our wrfgeos_<domain> files:

ncatted -O -h -a ISWATER,global,o,i,17 wrfgeos_d01

The problem was in module_surface_driver.F. After the first time the GEOS aerosols were read in, ISWATER was redefined from 17 to 16, which in MODIS is barren land but was the water class in USGS. This is a bug in the WRF code which should be addressed. For now, we have a workaround.