Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Updating SST not working

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

sabina

Hi,
I am trying to run MPAS with updating SSTs but I am getting some errors. When I run MPAS without updating the SSTs it runs fine.

This is the error I get:

forrtl: severe (64): input conversion error, unit -5, file Internal List-Directed Read
Image PC Routine Line Source
atmosphere_model 0000000002FE898E for__io_return Unknown Unknown
atmosphere_model 0000000003013CDD Unknown Unknown Unknown
atmosphere_model 0000000003012446 Unknown Unknown Unknown
atmosphere_model 000000000294ADFF mpas_timekeeping_ 1495 mpas_timekeeping.F
atmosphere_model 00000000014F97EF mpas_atmphys_mana 557 mpas_atmphys_manager.F
atmosphere_model 000000000118E0FC atm_core_mp_atm_m 435 mpas_atm_core.F
atmosphere_model 0000000001185C6D atm_core_mp_atm_c 152 mpas_atm_core.F
atmosphere_model 0000000000418371 mpas_subdriver_mp 331 mpas_subdriver.F
atmosphere_model 0000000000413815 MAIN__ 14 mpas.F
atmosphere_model 000000000041379E Unknown Unknown Unknown
libc-2.17.so 00002AAAACDFAB35 __libc_start_main Unknown Unknown
atmosphere_model 00000000004136A9 Unknown Unknown Unknown

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Sabina

We've been seeing errors like these more recently. The issue seems to be that parts of the timestamp string ('xtime') that are read from input files contain garbage, which confuses the parsing code in the timekeeping module. Which version of MPAS are you running? Also, which compiler (and version) are you working with, and which version of the PIO library are you using?

Sorry about the delay -- I'm still trying to come up with a clean case that reproduces this issue, along with fix that would be clean enough for general release. I'll post an update here as soon as I have a fix.

Hi,
Just checking if there are any updates on this issue? Or if there is anything else I can do to get around this issue?
Thanks,
Sabina

I think I've been able to reproduce what may be a related error, but it required that I create input files with one version of PIO, then try to read them back with a different version; but, it sounds like you're using a consistent version of PIO2 throughout. Could you attach your streams.atmosphere file? I'd like to check the definition of the "surface" stream to see whether there's something amiss there.

mgduda said:
I think I've been able to reproduce what may be a related error, but it required that I create input files with one version of PIO, then try to read them back with a different version; but, it sounds like you're using a consistent version of PIO2 throughout. Could you attach your streams.atmosphere file? I'd like to check the definition of the "surface" stream to see whether there's something amiss there.
hello mgduda,I have the same error when updating SST.Here is my strames.atmosphere

<streams>
<immutable_stream name="input"
type="input"
filename_template="x20.835586.init.nc"
input_interval="initial_only" />

<immutable_stream name="restart"
type="input;output"
filename_template="restart.$Y-$M-$D_$h.$m.$s.nc"
input_interval="initial_only"
output_interval="1_00:00:00" />

<stream name="output"
type="output"
precision="single"
filename_template="history.$Y-$M-$D_$h.$m.$s.nc"
output_interval="6:00:00" >

<file name="stream_list.atmosphere.output"/>
</stream>

<stream name="diagnostics"
type="output"
precision="single"
filename_template="diag.$Y-$M-$D_$h.$m.$s.nc"
output_interval="6:00:00" >

<file name="stream_list.atmosphere.diagnostics"/>
</stream>

<stream name="surface"
type="input"
filename_template="x20.835586.sfc_update.nc"
filename_interval="none"
input_interval="none" >

<file name="stream_list.atmosphere.surface"/>
</stream>

<immutable_stream name="iau"
type="input"
filename_template="x1.40962.AmB.$Y-$M-$D_$h.$m.$s.nc"
filename_interval="none"
packages="iau"
input_interval="initial_only" />

</streams>

@islandowner, Can you try setting the "input_interval" for the "surface" stream to match the interval between your SST update files? E.g., if you had daily SST update files, you might set:
Code:
<stream name="surface"
        type="input"
        filename_interval="none"
        input_interval="86400" >

</stream>
I think what may be happening in this case is that we try to parse "none" as a date-time string, and that fails. But, setting the "input_interval" to a valid date-time string may resolve the issue.

mgduda said:
@islandowner, Can you try setting the "input_interval" for the "surface" stream to match the interval between your SST update files? E.g., if you had daily SST update files, you might set:
Code:
<stream name="surface"
        type="input"
        filename_interval="none"
        input_interval="86400" >

</stream>
I think what may be happening in this case is that we try to parse "none" as a date-time string, and that fails. But, setting the "input_interval" to a valid date-time string may resolve the issue.
Thanks for your help! The problem was solved after modification according to your suggestion.