Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Very high values for vertical temperature gradient between the surface and 1 km AGL

Israt246

Hello, I am trying to calculate the vertical temperature gradient between the surface and 1 km AGL using wrf-python.
I did the following:

temp2m= wrf.getvar(wrfnc,'T2') #wrfnc is the WRF output file for a specific hour
tk= wrf.getvar(wrfnc,'tk') # Temperature in Kelvin
height_agl= wrf.getvar(wrfnc,'height_agl') # Model Height for Mass Grid (AGL) in m
temp_1km = wrf.interplevel(tk, height_agl, 1000) # tempertaure interpolated to 1000 m above AGL

Then I caculate dthe temperature gradient between surace and 1 km AGL as follows:
del_T1= temp_1km-temp2m # kelvin
del_h1= 998 #1000 m- 2 m
Temp_gradient= -(del_T1/del_h1)*1000 # -dT/dz (K/km)

I am getting very high values for Temp_gradient, and I am not sure if they are meteorologically correct. I have attached a screenshot of the values.
1712183790245.pngThe minimum and maximum values of the temperature gradient between the surface and 1 km AGL are between -10.44 K/km and 153.48 K/km. Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong that is leading to such high values for temperature gradient?