Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF-Solar:2) variable read via auxiliary file(s) in WRF I/O API-conforming netCDF format. How do I make this netCDF file?

HaoWang

Hi all,

I read the instruction manual for the WRF-Solar model. The manual says: Two options are available for setting the AOD at 550 nm: 1) constant value, and 2) variable read via auxiliary file(s) in WRF I/O API-conforming netCDF format.

If I want to choose 2, how do I select the aerosol data and how do I make the Auxiliary File (s)? Is there a manual for creating auxiliary files (s)? We look forward to your advice and guidance from WRF-Solar experts

You have to identify the aerosol data you would like to impose in the WRF-Solar simulations first. These are the variables you can impose (from the registry):

state real aod5502d ij misc 1 - i{15}r "AOD5502D" "Total aerosol optical depth at 550 nm" ""
state real angexp2d ij misc 1 - i{15}r "ANGEXP2D" "Aerosol Angstrom exponent" ""
state real aerssa2d ij misc 1 - i{15}r "AERSSA2D" "Aerosol single-scattering albedo" ""
state real aerasy2d ij misc 1 - i{15}r "AERASY2D" "Aerosol asymmetry factor" ""

Then you need to create a NetCDF file with these variables in your target WRF grid. Make sure you add the time stamps. It may be necessary to add the global attributes of the corresponding wrfinput_ d?? file.

Then in the namelist you have to inform the model about this file and should be read through the auxiliary input number 15.

Dear all,
I also want to run WRF-solar with AOD data. I want to know the detailed steps about creating the NetCDF file about AOD.I have read the user guide and it doesn't work for me.Are there any code can be used?Looking forward to your reply.

You have to identify the aerosol data you would like to impose in the WRF-Solar simulations first. These are the variables you can impose (from the registry):

state real aod5502d ij misc 1 - i{15}r "AOD5502D" "Total aerosol optical depth at 550 nm" ""
state real angexp2d ij misc 1 - i{15}r "ANGEXP2D" "Aerosol Angstrom exponent" ""
state real aerssa2d ij misc 1 - i{15}r "AERSSA2D" "Aerosol single-scattering albedo" ""
state real aerasy2d ij misc 1 - i{15}r "AERASY2D" "Aerosol asymmetry factor" ""

Then you need to create a NetCDF file with these variables in your target WRF grid. Make sure you add the time stamps. It may be necessary to add the global attributes of the corresponding wrfinput_ d?? file.

Then in the namelist you have to inform the model about this file and should be read through the auxiliary input number 15.
hi
I'm also trying to add AOD data now, and I currently have the AOD data added to the met file in WPS. Then I don't know how I can generate a format similar to wrfinput_ d file. Is there any good way to add the global attributes ?

Last edited:
Dear all,
I also want to run WRF-solar with AOD data. I want to know the detailed steps about creating the NetCDF file about AOD.I have read the user guide and it doesn't work for me.Are there any code can be used?Looking forward to your reply.
hi
I'm also trying to add AOD data, could you tell me the detailed steps about creating the NetCDF file about AOD? Thank you very much!