Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF throwing error when trying cycling with WRF and WRFDA

Blossom

Hello, experts,

I was doing data assimilation experiment in WRFDA. I was successful in creating wrfoutput with normal DA steps. But when I try cycling method, where I create new wrfinput files from data assimilated into previous forecast (I have also updated the boundary conditions as per the online user guide) wrf.exe is throwing this error "Program received signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault - invalid memory reference."

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

The error message you encountered, "Program received signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault - invalid memory reference," indicates that the WRF executable (wrf.exe) encountered a memory access violation, leading to a segmentation fault. This error typically occurs when the program tries to access a memory location that it does not have permission to access or when it attempts to access memory that has not been allocated.

There could be several reasons for this error in the context of your cycling method experiment in WRFDA. Here are some potential causes and troubleshooting steps you can follow:

Memory allocation: Make sure that your system has enough memory available to run the WRF model with the cycling method. Insufficient memory could cause memory access violations. You can check your system's memory usage and try running the experiment on a machine with higher memory capacity if needed.

Input data compatibility: Verify that the input data you are using for the cycling method (data assimilated into the previous forecast and updated boundary conditions) are correctly formatted and compatible with the WRF model and WRFDA. Check the file paths, formats, and ensure that the data are properly interpolated if required.

WRFDA configuration: Review your WRFDA configuration files, such as namelist.input and da_<your_experiment>.in, to ensure that all the necessary settings for the cycling method are correctly specified. Pay attention to parameters related to cycling, observation files, assimilation windows, and nudging, as these can impact the memory usage and stability of the model.

Domain setup: Check the domain configuration for your cycling experiment. Ensure that the grid and domain settings are appropriate and consistent across all steps, including the initial forecast, assimilation, and cycling iterations. Inconsistent or incorrect domain configurations could lead to memory access issues. Score Sense

Software version and compatibility: Verify that you are using compatible versions of WRF, WRFDA, and other related software components. It's possible that certain combinations of software versions could lead to memory-related issues or bugs. Consider checking the WRF and WRFDA user forums or mailing lists to see if other users have reported similar problems and if any specific solutions or patches are available.

Compiler or build issues: If you have built the WRF and WRFDA executables from source code, ensure that the compilation process completed successfully without any errors. Make sure you are using a compatible compiler and that all necessary dependencies are properly installed.

Debugging and logging: Enable any available debugging or logging options in WRF or WRFDA to obtain more detailed information about the segmentation fault. This can help identify the specific code section or operation that is causing the error. The generated log files or error messages might provide additional clues for troubleshooting.

If you have followed these steps and are still experiencing the segmentation fault error, it might be helpful to consult the WRFDA user community, mailing lists, or forums. Providing more specific details about your experiment setup, WRFDA version, cycling method configuration, and any relevant error messages or log files will assist others in understanding and resolving the issue you are facing.

Last edited:
Hello Ernestorowe,
I found that when I am using previous forecast (updates lower boundry, followed by data assimilation, the update lateral boundary) as input to wrf, the error occur due to so many missing variables like "TSK_MOSAIC", "QSFC_MOSAIC" in the input file. I have attached the rsl.error.0000 file for your reference. Can you clarify why this happens?

Attachments

• rsl.error.0000
    596.8 KB · Views: 3