Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF TILE

Chetan

Hi everyone,
I tried to simulate the model using mpirun -np 4 ./wrf.exe for 3 nested domains. But it taking too much time to simulate. When checking tail -f rsl.out.0001 (0002, 0003), it shows Tile Strategy is not specified. Assuming 1D-Y. So, how can i set the tiles in wrf model to overcome this model? Is there any documentation about tile strategy, WRF number of tiles etc??

Thank you.

If you compile WRF in damper mode, then the model domain will be automatically decomposed based on the number of processors you run with. Usually we can specify the number of processors based on the grid numbers. Below is a formula that roughly describe how to determine the number of processors:

For the smallest-sized domain:

((e_we)/25) * ((e_sn)/25) = most amount of processors you should use

This is just general and there is no strict rules about how to specify processors. I don't think we have any documents or papers to address this issue.

Hi Meng,

My WRF rsl files all showed this message at the tail:
#################################################
WRF TILE 1 IS 201 IE 300 JS 320 JE 372
WRF NUMBER OF TILES = 1
#################################################

I have no idea what is going on. Any suggestions please?

Hi Ming,

I did make changes to the noahmplsm.F file, removing all ISBARREN IF statements to suit my study. I can't tell if this may be the reason for the program aborting. It runs perfectly fine in the default mode without my edits though. I have 64 RSL files which all give the same error. I compiled wrf after my editing of the noah script as follows:
./clean -aa
./configure
./compile em_real

Please let me know what you think.

Those "IF Conditions" provide important restrains for the physics scheme to work reasonably. We have to be cautious when we remove those conditions ...