Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

wrf_user_vert_interp

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

D_Fora

Hi,
I wonder what methods were used in both vertical interpolation and extrapolation of ARW WRF variables to Height AGL in this function? Is there any details about wrf_user_vert_interp?
What other built-in functions can I use to interpolate or extrapolate WRF variables linearly to the layer I concerned about? Especially the wind field.
Yours,
Sui HUANG

Hi,

I have attached the fortran code that is used for this function. It is the best function to use to interpolate WRF variables to a specific layer.

-wrfhelp-

Attachments

• WRF_INTERP.TAR.gz
    31.3 KB · Views: 97
The function wrf_user_vert_interp will, by default, linearly interpolate the levels. For Height AGL and Height MSL you will want to use that default. However, if you are interpolating to pressure, theta, or theta-e levels you will want to use a log-linear interpolation, which you can turn on with this line of code:

opts@logP = True