Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRFDA compilation error [Can't open module file 'da_control.mod']

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

ep-98d

I am trying to build WRFDA after successfully building WRF and WPS. I've set CRTM=1 for environment setting and not using RTTOV. The part where the error is in the entire error message is the following..

Code:
gen_be_stage0_gsi.f:15:7:

use da_control, only : num_fft_factors, pi, stdout, stderr, &
Fatal Error: Can't open module file 'da_control.mod' for reading at (1): No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
gen_be_stage0_wrf.f:17:7:

use da_control, only : num_fft_factors, pi, stdout, stderr, &
Fatal Error: Can't open module file 'da_control.mod' for reading at (1): No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

Seems like da_control.mod is not generated during the compilation..

Nevermind. I successfully compiled WRFDA.

I thought I could compile WRF and compile WRFDA in the same directory, which is wrong according to the WRF V4.0 maunal (They have to be compiled at a separate directory).

For details, read the Note at "a.Obtaining WRFDA Source Code" at Section "Installing WRFDA for 3DVAR Run" at...
http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/...sers_guide_chap6.html#_Installing_WRFDA_for_1

Just to inform others.. I made the follwing changes to the 'configure.wrf' file.

Note that my system is like the following

1. System
CPU: Intel Xeon X5690
netCDF:
netCDF-fortran 4.4.4-5
netCDF-OpenMPI 4.6.1-3
HDF:
HDF5-OpenMPI 1.10.3-2
C compiler: gcc
Fortran compiler: gcc-gfortran
CPP compiler: gcc-cpp

2. 'configure.wrf' changes
(1) line 123 " FC = time $(DM_FC) " to " FC = $(DM_FC) "
the program 'time' DO work but, it caused some errors in my system during the compilation for WRF and WRFDA. So, I just suppressed it.

(2) line 145 " CPP = /lib/cpp -P -nostdinc " to "CPP = /usr/bin/cpp -P -nostdinc"
I think this is problem of my OS.

(3) line 186 " CFLAGS = ... ", add " -DLANDREAD_STUB " at the end of the CFLAGS option
This is fix for the following error during WRF and WRFDA compilation.

Code:
landread.c:68:10: fatal error: rpc/types.h: No such file or directory
   #include <rpc/types.h>

See http://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=339 and http://forum.mmm.ucar.edu/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=61&p=220&hilit=landread.c#p220 for details.

Hello,I have met the similar questions like yours.

Fatal error: unable to open module file 'da_gosat.mod' read at (1) : there is no file or directory
Command exited with non-zero status 1
4.87user 0.04system 0:05.05elapsed 97%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 20184maxresident)k
32 inputs + 8 outputs (0 + 5604 minor major) pagefaults 0 swaps
Make [2]: [module_da_tools_part2.o] error 1 (ignore)

I checked a lot of websites, few people encounter this problem, only your problem is more similar. Can you give me some advice?Thank you very much.